Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-02-2008, 05:34 AM

The Fire brigade called out

Saw this on the local news, 12 firemen were called out to move an overweight man in Grangemouth, they were only moving him into another position in his bed, he weighs 41 stones how the hell did his GP allow things to get to this stage, and what would have happened if an emegency had been called in the fire station for someone who really needed assistance.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Sad.
But I think its a bit hard blaming the GP - some people just don't want/won't accept help.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I hope the fire brigade charge him. They get called out to do this at hospitals as well.
Becky
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 09:04 AM
i think it disgustiong to use the fire brigade!

i saw a program about seriously overweight people and being overweight myself (gladly not to that extent) i understand what it is like to feel isolated and depressed about how you look, But to allow yourself to get to this weight(41stone)

Im sorry but they shouldnt get help from the EMERGENCY SERVICES to roll over!

What if somoeone died in a fire because 12 were helping this guy roll over!

As far as im concerned they should be offered a rehab place (yes i know many dont exist but they should!) and if they turn it down then theyre on their own! its just like any addiction this is where all our tax goes...
Smoking, from what was on this program (channel 4 a while back), cost us less than obesity!

And know firemen have to deal with it as well! !
it terrible!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
Im sorry but they shouldnt get help from the EMERGENCY SERVICES to roll over!
I agree Alex, firstly it's not an emergancy is it, secondly as you said what if a fire had occured, (at the very least these twelve men would have been delayed attending it), thirdly there must be some cost element using highly expensive equipment (ie Fire Vehicle) surely it could be done by someone else.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree to use the services of the firebrigade is wrong ,As they could have been needed else where ,But i think the person is as much to blame as his gp , tbh some people are beyond help or wont take the help thats offered , I know a man who weighed 32 stone he was house bound ,His gp offered him operation and treatment countless times but he refused ,It was only after a massive heart attack that Johnny took the help ad had his stomach stapeled , Thanks to the persistance and dedication of his gp he has now lost 14 stone in just over a year ,He can now take gentle strolls and is on a very strict diet and has said to my mum he wishes he hadnt been so stubborn and got the help needed a long time ago , Though he did say to mum he was embarrassed at first because he thought people would be disgusted by his apperance at the hospital , He needs to loose some more weight before getting further surgery to remove the left over fat from the weight he has lost so far xxdk
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 11:09 AM
My OH has been called out to stuff like this and it isn't pleasant for anyone concerned.
Really sad