Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 03:07 PM

cars...

ive fallen out with dave (squeaky honda), so ive told him he's being replaced haha

id like a sports car, (well sportish) i love the new astra, and corsa -

problem i have is

1. insurance - i will be 20 when i get anew car so insurance companys still hate me

2. where to put millie -if it has 4 seats she can go on the back seat behind the pasenger dor in her seatbelt (or cage whichever)

i really dont know which cars to look at, i love the saab convertable, audi tt that sorta carrs but 1. i aint got that sorta money and 2 they woulndt insure me if i had!!!

any suggestions???

p.s im not ungrateful (which is probably what your thinking) i love my car, paid fr it, clean it - etc its sorta reliable but ive already told my mum im saving for another to replace this one lol - i will probably get one on finance tbh- not brand new i cant justify loosing all that money.....

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh suze, I really don't know! For the past year I've been looking at BIG cars! I know what you mean, I'm not ungrateful for mine, I had a wee micra before (well still do until April) which was lovely but I got it at 17, didn't have dogs and was a lot more girlie than I am now! Now, it's just not right for me!

Somehow micras and cross country just don't mix!

Must admit, I still like the wee sporty cars but I need something more practical - if I was going for a little car it'd be a micra sport or maybe a small citroen.

You could have a look at used motability cars - they are often handed back in top condition because then we get £200 back when we hand it back (unless the motability user was me and the car is covered in white hairs and scratched inside!) but I don't know how much they sell for.

Also - cars like the micra sport are actually in a lower insurance bracket than other sports cars because they have put wee back seats in just because it costs less to insure a car with back seats! So you could look into which sports type cars do that?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 04:52 PM
ohh great idea thanks lottie!!!

main things are for millie really!! she has to travel with me everyday for the yard and for vets visits etc

and our planned trip to the beach

practically... sports cars not... but hey you only live once - imo u should make the most of it!!!

thank you - i will look into that now

ETA - oh my god i love the nissan micra convertables!!!!!!!!
the newer version!!

i love the streetka but they only have 2 seats and are really small! but wow i love the micra hehe
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Asda are fab for insurance. All the quotes I got when I bought my car eighteen months ago (Citroen Xsara Picasso) were extortionate - some over £150 a month! Purely because I was twenty one and was still on a provisional license at the time.
Asda don't discriminate by license type, so because my OH got his provisional aged seventeen, and passed his driving test aged thirty, they put him down as "holding a license" for more than nine years, and it actually reduced my cost every month to put him on my policy.
Unfortunately, I still pay a lot, because I'm technically a "young driver" with a big car (I'm 23). I'm sure if I could manage with a smaller car, then my cost would drop drastically, but I need a large car so that I can actually get in and out of it, and so I have room for my wheelchair as well as the dogs.

We're already planning our next car, and we're thinking about swapping my DLA for a motability car and getting the Ford C-Max, which looks great, but possibly bigger and not as sporty as you would want!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Suze - aren't you talking about getting another dog (and possibly a bigger breed)?

If so, much as I can see how you would want one, it just wouldn't seem sensible to get a sporty car.

Bearing in my your age & insurance problems, for the time being I would stick to something relatively boring but cheap to buy/insure/maintain and plenty of room for 2 dogs.

Something like a normal astra or ford focus - possibly an estate version?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 12:36 PM
your only 20 .......................crikey i am old enough to be your mum
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok I know this is not sporty, but looking at your circumstance. ie: having dog, going to the yard etc. Why don't you get yourself something along the lines of a Nissan Cube which will be penlty big enough for your needs plus it's a 4x4.

Have a look at this link which will tell you evertything you will need to know about it. http://cube-cubic.com/index.html plus as it's only a 1400cc it will have low insurance and tax.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-02-2008, 04:17 PM
What about something like a Tigra or Puma, both have a small back seat, and I've know dogs to travel in one. And not to pricey to insure either
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
What about something like a Tigra or Puma, both have a small back seat, and I've know dogs to travel in one. And not to pricey to insure either
they wont touch me until im 25

i asked - i wanted the tigra,,,, but i cant have one till im 25+

as for another dog guys - since loosing sam that has put a stop on things - not yet - it will be years down the line, it will take a hell of a long time to get used to not having her
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 turbo diesel. Pulls like a train, looks good, drives well, comfortable, well equipped (electric windows, air-con, heated mirrors etc) cheap tax, cheap insurance. All round good car. And the back seats fold, so you have a semi-estate, which is great for dogs. Only downside is that I, at age nearly fifty, have the urge to don a burberry cap, sideways, and listen to Drum-n-bass at full volume, whilst shouting *Safe!* and *Wikkid, innit?!*