Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Leaving dog in car

I start my project work in a weeks time and will need to go out to a golf course for 4 days of the week until start of April. I want to bring Flynn with me as i can take him for a walk up the Pentland hills in my break and its better than him being stuck at home.
But i am worried about him spending up to 2 hours in the car. Il be at the golf course longer than that but after 2 hours i will check on him. He'l have water and a bed and lots of space to move about. I have a Rav4. When we visited the golf course for a tour last week i took Flynn and the weather was so wierd. When the sun shone it was quite warm but it got cold quite quickly when the sun went away.

Do you think he'l be ok in the car? Im not sure i would be able to find anyone to take him out if i leave him at home. Has anyone used those mesh things you buy for your window so they can stay open? Are they secure? Do you think i could leave him a kong in the car to ocupy him or wuold there not be enough room? Any other ideas?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Is there any place at the course where you can park in the shade no matter where the sun is? When I was in my tent it got really hot so I used to park the car in the shade and leave the dogs in there as it was considerably cooler than the tent was!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I think I would be a bit worried, knowing how much the weather can change and I can't imagine that those mesh things are secure against people wanting to get into the car.

Is it possible to have a word with the greenkeepers? If they are doggy people, they may let you keep him in a crate in their shed (greenkeepers normally have quite large 'sheds' - would have thought there would be room for a crate)? I would have thought that would be a better option than the car. And if at least one of the greenkeepers is a dog person, he may even get some company while you're away.
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
We have a good sun roof that can open all the way but if it rains......

One of the green keepers came with us on the tour. He was nice enough. I just dont want to appear unprofessional. We are doing a survey of animals for them and are 'representing the uni' so dont want to appear that Flynn comes before my work. In my eyes he does! But they wont see it that way. Its quite a posh place. Il talk to the green keeper but im not hopeful.

There is one side of the car park that is in shade most of the time due to trees, but it gets busy. Il be there early though so might be ok.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I honestly don't think it would be a good idea, not with all the dog thefts at the moment. Plus if he gets bored you are likely to come back to a wrecked Rav 4. A lot can happen in 2 hours.
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:41 AM
He is very good! He has been left in the car for that long before. (in cold weather) and he just sleeps.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:43 AM
That's exactly what mine do, the same as they are at home!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Don't give up on the greenkeepers too quickly. They're outdoor people so many of them do also love animals, including dogs and some I know take their dogs to work with them at least some of the time.

I do understand understand your concerns but there are ways of asking which won't offend or make you appear unprofessional. Of course, you'd have to be sure that Flynn wouldn't be a nuisance e.g. barking all the time. Alternatively it surely won't heart to ask where the best place to park your car would be so that Flynn stays out of the sun.
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Hmm, i might take a trip up there before i start to talk to him. Flynn is such a good pup. Only time he barks is if he sees something wierd. Like he barked at swans and sheep but he just needed a few mins to see they wernt going to eat him! We have a crate i can put him in but he hasnt used it in ages!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Hope you have a wonderful time at least the weather is good for you xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >