View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 11:02 AM

My dog has demodectic mange Treatment help.

Hi
My 12 year old dog has started to loose hair between his eyes and the skin is very pink.
I cannot get a vet appointment until Tuesday so in the mean time i have bought some Hibiscrub to bath it in but is there anything else I can do at home to help it.

I have read that in older dogs it is because the imume system not working properly because of under lying problem.

Any ideas

Kathryn
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
When I took Libby to the vets with her ears, the vet said he'd never seen so many cases of Mange as this year, and also said seen a load more ticks than normal for winter.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Demodectic mange requires either a spot-on treatment such as advocate or depending on the severity of the symptoms an aludex bathing solution every 5-7 days. Has your vet done a deep skin scrape to test for the demodex mite? I'd be careful using a chlorhexidine (hibiscrub) on the sensitive skin around the eyes unless it's under direct supervision from your vet-it can be an irritant.
Hope he feels better soon.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by pinklizzy View Post
Demodectic mange requires either a spot-on treatment such as advocate or depending on the severity of the symptoms an aludex bathing solution every 5-7 days. Has your vet done a deep skin scrape to test for the demodex mite? I'd be careful using a chlorhexidine (hibiscrub) on the sensitive skin around the eyes unless it's under direct supervision from your vet-it can be an irritant.
Hope he feels better soon.
I am unable to get a apointment for a vet until tuesday morning thats why I have asked on here if there is anything I can do at home to help him as four days is a long wait.
So he has not a had a skin scrape but I am 100% sure thats what he has got.
I phoned to ask if I could buy something over the counter at the vets like stronghold ect but they would not sell it without the dog having a health check as he has not been to see a vet for 2 years and the next avalible apointment was Tuesday morning.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi,
If I were you I wouldnt bath your dog, as your vet may want to take a skin scraping,and you may have washed away some of the evidence, this often used to happen in thepractise where i worked people used to think they were doing the right thing by giving the dog a good wash just before they brought it in.
hope all works out well for you on Tuesday.

Jeanette
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 06:04 PM
All I can say is, I swear by Hibiscrub!!!! It kills just about everything, everywhere, and my vet always recommends me to carry on with it as and when needed.

Just a mention, on my last bottle which I bought at Sainsbury's I actually read the label coz it wasn't my usual great big cheap bottle from Boots the Chemist pharmacy, and I noticed it stated in there about the dangers of getting it in the ears??? Read your label and see if it mentions this, and if so, be very careful around the ears. You can always hold a clean flannel over each eye as you're washing his nose can't you? Good luck, anything to put him out of his misery with the itching.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, just have lots of experience with demodex! Chlorhexidine will help to kill some bacteria on the skin which can be secondary to demodex, introduced by the scratching but the mites themselves live very deep in the skin.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Please be very careful of using any derivative of Invermectin if your dog has any trace of a herding breed in it's make up
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 08:07 PM
May I ask why Jodee?? Just that it sounds quite a profound statement, but you haven't said why? I'm only interested that's all, sorry if I appear abrupt, it's just that you've left me at least hanging in the air so to speak??? I'm assuming here that Hibiscrub has invermectin in it???? Perhaps not
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
hi i would wait if you can till you see the vet, if really worried can you call a diffrent near you and see if they could see you both quicker. i now ts gard ut we had a dog that had and phoned the vet like you could not get in for a few days, all we didwas use suda crea to help the itch till the vet could see us. sorry hun not much help but best to wit before you use any thing else incase it gets worse. let us now how you go thinking of you both.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >