Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Scared of being in the car

Took Zeita out in the car today, its not the first time she has been in it. However previously she has been car sick but wasn't today

She seems pettrified she refused to get in so I had to pick her up and put her in, then refused to come out

So I lifted her out we went for our walk then same again she refused both in and out.

Any tips? as I would like to go to this walk more often and take her on camping holidays and I really don't want her scared. She wouldn't accept any treats so I couldn't reward her in that way

Mel x
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 04:01 PM
You have my sympathies. I have a dog very similar. he hates the car. I have done the desensitisation ( 1 min in still car upto 10 mins, then 1 min in car with engine on upto 10 mins, then 1 min in moving car upto 10 mins) and it really hasnt made him better. Now I drive to his walk ( approx 3 mins) everyday in the hope that a positive result will help, and it hasnt upto now. If I go any further away I have to use stugeron, travella and rescue remedy, and at least that stops the dribbling and keeps him calm.

Good luck
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 04:03 PM
she dribbles but is not squeeling or making a nuisance just sits there with them eyes.....MUm I don't like it lol

Will have a look into the remedies for longer journies

thanks

Mel x
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 04:04 PM
what's she like in the car when its not moving? would she play with toys and enjoy a fuss in there if it was stationary?

really not suggesting you do this if your girl is fearful, but our youngest got really stubborn with getting in the car... she was fine once she was in there and would settle quickly, but she liked us trying to coax her into the boot and just used to look at you wagging.. i didn't mind lifting her as she's not heavy, but my mum (who has a bad back) got frustrated with her and just set off with the other two and left her.. she only got to the end of the drive, stopped and got out, opened the boot and Freda was in like a shot!

if your girl is worried i'd just make playing in the boot enjoyable, with toys, treats or fuss. try it a few times without the intention of going anywhere and then there'll be no chance of her picking up on any frustrations you may have..
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Take her in the car at every opportunity, even shopping, Smeags was terrified when she was young, even after a half mile journey she was sick, I had huge probs with her but persevered and she's OK now, it took months BTW.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 04:08 PM
The thing that worked for me was only ever going short car trips leading to nice walks to start with.

Hoki used to hate the car - she was always panting & sick. But nearly every weekend we get in the car & go no more than 3 miles or so to a really nice walk. When she goes to the vets, I never drive straight there and back (unless one of them is really ill) - we drive, park up, go for a walk which ends up at the vets.

I realise that I'm quite lucky in the walking places I have available within a short drive and the location of the vets, but I really think it made the difference as she only associates the car with nice things now.
Roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2008, 04:37 PM
One of my dogs hated the car, so much that when I picked up my keys he would run and hide under a bed. He wouldn't get in by himself and when he was in he wouldn't accept any food reward no matter how yummy, he would just sit and shake.

I started driving to the park every day even though it is only a 1 minute journey. Its taken a good few months but now he is more than happy to go out in the car. At first he would still shake when he got in but now he's fine and will accept a reward for getting in.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 05:56 PM
thanks for all the advice given, it seems perseverance is the key and regular trips. Will also put her in and play that seems like a good idea too but go no where.

Got till May till we go away so fingers crossed

Mel x
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Would using a DAP spray maybe calm her down a bit? You could spray it onto a blanket or toy. Have also heard that anxiety wraps (special tight fitting security coats) can help nervous dogs. If you google both you should be able to get more info.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Would using a DAP spray maybe calm her down a bit? You could spray it onto a blanket or toy. Have also heard that anxiety wraps (special tight fitting security coats) can help nervous dogs. If you google both you should be able to get more info.
thanks, I shall look into them, never thought about a DAP spray/collar

mel x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >