Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Milk???

I have been told by a breeder to give my 5month old pup Milk 2times a week..i gave him some this morning just a little and he seems to LOVE the white stuff but i was wondering if this is ok? thank you in advance
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I've never given any of my dog's milk and am still not really sure of the purpose. I do know, however, that cow's milk is the least desired bit of milk to give an animal.

Did your breeder tell you why to do this?
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2005, 09:59 AM
yes my breeder,my dog seems to love it! but im not to sure as when ever something new is introduced in his deit he has well lets just say "toilet probs" the 1st few days then hes ok. i was told its to help make his coat stronger and since he is growing make his bones stronger.This breeder has some lovely healthy dogs so he must being doing something right lol.. also raw egg once a week? i no they a dog will eat a boiled 1but raw well i wont risk that due to illness which it can cause.
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 10:07 AM
I've honestly never heard of giving a dog milk until I joined forums with UK members. I just read up on it because I was curious...found a UK site and several US sites that both said milk is not needed by a puppy after it is weaned and that cow's milk is not digestible by cats or dogs. (Like lactose intolerant people). One of the sites also said that feeding dogs raw eggs consitently reduces the levels of biotin in the body. ?? Dog's should be getting everything they need if they're on a complete food or if fed a proper raw diet.

Here's the UK site:

Puppy feeding
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Abbas_786
yes my breeder,my dog seems to love it! but im not to sure as when ever something new is introduced in his deit he has well lets just say "toilet probs" the 1st few days then hes ok. i was told its to help make his coat stronger and since he is growing make his bones stronger.This breeder has some lovely healthy dogs so he must being doing something right lol.. also raw egg once a week? i no they a dog will eat a boiled 1but raw well i wont risk that due to illness which it can cause.
Hello Abbas, yes milk is good for dogs but not cows milk.

Source ‘Manual of Companion Animal Nutrition and Feeding’ by BSAVA (British Small Animal Veterinary Association).
Cats and dogs along with most other mammals lose, to a variable extent, their ability to digest lactose (milk sugar) with age, because the activity of the enzyme lactase declines with age’Lactose cannot be broken down without the enzyme lactase. Cats and dogs which are lactose intolerant may suffer from diarrhoea and/or flatulence when fed milk.
But you can feed puppy milk or goats milk which is less of a problem or special milk that has been treated. Having said that some dogs seem to tollerate lactose better than others and I have in the past given cows milk, but best not to really
EDITED TO SAY On older puppies past weaning .. To give milk or not all depends what you are feeding ..fresh food diet or complete food. I don't refer to fresh as BARF because I cook a lot of the fresh meat, so my food is a hybrid diet of fresh raw/cooked mainly organic food, I have used for many years.
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2005, 10:19 AM
thanx alot! i wont give him milk no more my pup is 5months old is raw meat ok 4him? he doesnt have his proper teeth yet can he chew it?
Meg
Supervisor

23-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Abbas_786
thanx alot! i wont give him milk no more my pup is 5months old is raw meat ok 4him? he doesnt have his proper teeth yet can he chew it?
Yes..give him milk but puppy milk. I will send you a private message re food in a moment
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Is raw meat good for him will get you a lot of mixed answers. You can probably learn a lot by reading the raw food debates.

So...since I can't find it...why IS milk good for dogs exactly?
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Where can i get puppy milk from??? Mr Spock ive been told by a few people milk is good as 2 y well only what ive mentioned in my other post i can tell you.The pup seems to love it he even ignored his food to drink it lol...i have been advised against giving him puppy dog food due to the growth suppliments it has making it unnatural. He is currently on 2meals a day i give him 1can off dog food each time and also i have this 20kg bag off stuff which has bics,grains and veggies in it he gets about 1bowl full off that a day. I exercise him alot about 1/2 hours a day which includes running walking and a springpole in my backyard and since last week a large Pikachu toy which is alot bigger than him which he loves 2fight with till he cant move no more lol. if any1 has any tips they are very welcome
Meg
Supervisor

23-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock
Is raw meat good for him will get you a lot of mixed answers. You can probably learn a lot by reading the raw food debates.
So...since I can't find it...why IS milk good for dogs exactly?
Hello Mr Spock have PMd details to Abbas on raw/best complete also so as not to cause yet another row no technically speaking milk is not essential to puppies after weaning but is rich in calcium/protein/minerals and I feed milk to puppies as part of a mixed fresh food diet. I have explained this also to Abbas in a PM trying to tie in with the breeders instructions.
Edited to say . I don't fit into any feeding category, I feed what I have fed puppies on for forty years long before complete food was invented. I feed fresh organic meat and veg etc some cooked some raw I sometimes feed complete to dogs ..it varies according to circumstances at the time. I feed Burns at the moment but the next puppy I have will be on my old tried and tested diet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >