Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
carlosfandango
New Member!
Male 

23-03-2005, 12:54 AM

This makes me so angry!!

Hi, i'm a newbie, if you aint said hello yet - go here http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...?t=7782&page=1

So anyhew, took Lucy & Ivan to the vets last night, Ivan tip top for his check up and lucy to let the vet see her teeth and rear dew claw (just on one leg lol)

We've had lucy for a few weeks, rescued her from a shelter, Staffy X Lab kinda dog.

Dew claw was no bother, she had that out this morning, as it had split. The vet had to remove 3 teeth, Left upper large incisor, and 2 lower middle incisors.

she's only around 18 mnths.

I knew she had been abused because for the first couple of weeks, if i raised my voice she would cower terrified, and she coward at a clenched fist a few times when i wasnt even looking at her.

We all think she had been hit in the muzzle with a very very hard and blunt object. My vet told me there has been an influx in X bull type dogs, terriers - mastiffs etc bred purely for fighting, and that she probably didnt make the grade as she is too slight in build.

what do you guys make of this? there's literally hundreds of X type dogs in the shelters.

My previous breeds have included German Shepard, Dalmation, Great Dane, and last but by no means least, a Yorkie - and this is the first i have heard of an influx in this sort of thing.
madmutz30
New Member!
Female 

04-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi..Ive got Tara and Holly (mother and daughter WHIPPETS), Todd a jack russell x yorkie and finally Harvey a whippet x lab who we rescued from a local rspca centre where he had been abandoned at only (they think 4 wks old) he has always been nervous and cowers if you shout and they say it could be because he was abandoned at a young age but now he is 18 months old and gaining more confidence..It really annoys me how people could be so cruel to such defenceless animals who havent hurt anyone!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by carlosfandango
what do you guys make of this? there's literally hundreds of X type dogs in the shelters.
Sad to say that theres hundreds of purebreds in shelters too
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Tan,

This is Mr. Spock. He was used as pit bait as well. He has major scarring on his flanks and a home-made ear crop. When I got him he was food aggressive, aggressive with men and persons that weren't caucasian and you couldn't touch his feet without him biting hard enough to break the skin.

2 years later (almost) and a lot of work past, you can touch his feet, he's fine with men and almost over his fear of dark skinned people. It takes some effort but you can desensitize them to their fears. Just a bit of time and helpful friends.

Using dogs for anything other than companions is disgusting. That said, it's very rewarding to get one of these dogs and see the turn around that's possible. I often wonder how it is these dogs are put through so much and can still be rehabbed.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Spock

That said, it's very rewarding to get one of these dogs and see the turn around that's possible. I often wonder how it is these dogs are put through so much and can still be rehabbed.
There is a very good saying on another board I frequent

the hardest scars to heal- are the ones we cannot see
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
totally agree - can I just say that picture is fab Nicole - he looks fantastic and looks like he thoroughly enjoys his new life !!!

dani
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks Dani...he's certainly entertaining. They certainly seem to adjust well with a little bit of tlc.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 09:23 PM
couldnt agree more - and he look slike he has all the charm !!! Bet you cant deny that face anything !!
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2005, 10:27 PM

The 'are you on the computer again' face usually works.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2005, 10:31 PM
o wow gorgeous
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >