Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
urbanwolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Canaan Dog Louie

Hi Here is the UKKC breed standard. Photos of Louie to follow. He is 10 months old.

General Appearance
Medium sized, well balanced, strong and square. Marked distinction between sexes.

Characteristics
Agile, alert and highly intelligent.

Temperament
Confident and vigilant. Aloof with strangers. Steady and loyal to owners.

Head and Skull
Skull Well proportioned, wedge shaped of medium length, appearing broader due to low set ears. Skull somewhat flattened between ears. Stop shallow but defined. Length from muzzle to stop approximately equal to length from stop to occiput. Nose black. Lips tight and well pigmented.

Eyes
Dark, almond shaped and obliquely set with black rims.

Ears
Medium sized, erect and set low with broad base and rounded tip.

Mouth
Jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws, level bite acceptable.

Neck
Muscular, well arched, of medium length without throatiness.

Forequarters
Well laid muscular shoulder, elbows close to body. Medium boned. When viewed from the front forelegs straight. Pasterns slightly sloping.

Body
Square, withers well developed, back level, loins muscular, chest deep and of moderate breadth, ribs well sprung. Belly well tucked up.

Hindquarters
Powerful, broad muscular thighs, hocks well let down. Legs straight when viewed from behind.

Feet
Strong, round and cat like with hard pads.

Tail
Set high, thick brush carried curled over back when trotting or excited.

Gait/Movement
Energetic and natural trot.

Coat
Outer coat dense, harsh and straight of short to medium length. Undercoat close and profuse according to season.

Colour
Sand to red-brown, white, black, or spotted, with or without a symmetrical black mask. White markings permitted on all colours. Grey, brindle, black and tan or tricolour undesirable.

Size
Height 50-60 cms (20-24 ins). Weight 18-25 kgs (40-55 lbs).

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note
Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended.

Thanks

Maria
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I like this breed, uncomplicated and a "dog" to look at!

Nice fellow. Looks immature but at 10mths thats what you'd expect. Body needs to deepen and I'd like his nose to have better pigment. Like him for bone and balance, appears to have the correct coat and it looks to be of the correct texture. Neck is good, broad and strong. Cant see his head from the front so cant comment. Most of what may be seen as a fault will be improved by age.

Thank you for putting a pic up of this lovely breed, will be interested to see how he looks as a mature adult.
urbanwolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Borderdawn - will definitely be posting more piccies as he matures!
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
i love louie, have watched him growing up [in pictures] on another forum.hes looking good
urbanwolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks Julie.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm a bit reluctant to critique from photos, as so much depends on camera angle, lighting, stance etc.... but this is a particularly good photo of an excellent dog standing naturally.... so I'll chance my arm

Young dog of good strength, correct bone and excellent stance. At 10 months he will undoubtedly grow a little more, but at the moment his height:length proportions are absolutely correct. Obviously needing to develop greater depth to height proportions, but well developed for age. Good underline with correct tuck-up. Well defined withers with slight dip behind, strong in loin with good tailset.

Good head planes with good balance but needing to strengthen in muzzle. A little overdone in stop. Ears look to be good with correct set.

Forehand construction is excellent with good shoulder layback and correct length and angle of upper arm giving a moderate angulation. Stance looks straight, with correct pastern angle.

Hindquarters also excellent, with correct length of upper and lower thigh, hocks well let down with good angle.

Overall angulation is moderate and well balanced, and absolutely correct for a dog of square proportions. I've seen many of this breed that are correctly proportioned, but have too much angulation for square proportions. This usually results in movement faults.