Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Yet another lead bites the dust.....

Yes, the OH took Flower out today, her flexi lead (for 20kgs) snapped off, and she went hurtlingaway from him! she doesnt weigh anywhere near that, its so annoying that I keep paying money out for leads, and there really not proving safe! I want a long flexi type lead as she is not trustworthy off the lead, but i want her to have abit of a run rather than being close to me all the time.

this is the third lead, the first two were rubbsh cheap ones (I learnt my lesson!) but the last one was a flexilead at £15 so thought it would hold her....grrrrrr xxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Hope your going to take it back and ask them for your refund........I certaintly WOULD
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
That's because you keep buying flexi leads. Many trainers advise people not to buy/use flexis. You have stumbled across some of the reasons 3 times now.

Instead, invest in a good long horse lunge line.
It's use takes some practice in your garden at first, wearing gloves.
But once you get the hang of it, you will never suffer the sense of not having control of the momentum, speed and length of your lead, as it is directly controlled by your hand, not an intermediate button.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
.... and I hate them too because when they belt at full speed, get to the end, I'm sure you can break their necks!!! I nearly did this with Georgie when I first had him, it pulled him over in fact, but didn't break, and I absolutely HATE them now!!

A lunge line you can get from P@H in the Horsey Dept. or a horse feed store, or somewhere like that. You keep the majority of it in your left hand, with your right hand holding the dog and unslip it as you need more, and put back on the left hand bundle what you don't! It's easy when you learn how, but I much prefer something like this.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I used to use a flexi with Jamie, but not now... ooh the friction burns I use a massive horse lunge line too, so when the boy is unsecure surroundings he can belt about and I can be in control and not be in pain!!! He weighs approx 35kg so it holds him and costs alot less then the flexi I got him!!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I use a lunge line for Mack too, if it is somewhere new, or a chance we may meet livestock. I threw my flexi in the bin, after Meg pulled one day near the road,the lock popped open and the button failed, luckily the road was empty. Never again.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
My daughters Weimaraner, Jess, is onto her third flexi, not because they have snapped but because she has chewed them! The second one was only a few weeks old and she chewed the lead bit we just weren't quick enough to stop the lead disappearing into the handle!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I must be a lucky one then, I have a flexi lead that we have had since storm was young..

I dont use them as a training aid, and also dont let the dogs run on them. I also say they should be use by dogs that dont pull on a lead as it does not matter how strong the lock is if a dog is constantly pulling it will become looser over time. I do think there should be more warnings on the packaging though as they can cause problems if used wrongly.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I see what your saying, but won't a lunge line just get wrapped around her constantly as she spins and runs in different directions? I can just see it being even more of a task, especially having 2 to walk? xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
ah - 2 to walk...um....efficient use of the lunge line would involve training for you and the dog.
have you considered a trainer to iron out her handling issues?
may be they would benefit walked seperately until she has learnt better?
also, have you tried using a body harness or head halti?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >