View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:01 PM

I have been looking at all the standards...

and pictures in the 'Critique my dog' section and have been impressed by how knowledgeable the replies have been. How long does it take to get your eye in and be able to look at a dog and judge it? Is it self taught by going to shows and researching or do you get formal training?:smt001
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm certainly not knowledgeable nor experienced as such. I just read the standards then apply it to the dog I'm looking at lol!
Others on here are far more experienced in this kind of thing than me!
Becky
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Go to a lot of shows L, that way, if you've got an eye for a good dog you'll start to pick out the best.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Mahooli and Nero.

When I look at dogs I think I just see the whole dog and am unable break it down into the different sections (I don't know if that is the right term). It is something I would love to be able to do and hopefull as you say Nero, it will come with time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I was once told by a very well know judge(Bill Siggers of Great Dane/Irish Wolfhound fame-The book about him is is "He whacked the bl**dy lot")that if a dog moved correctly for the breed then it's construction would be correct & IMHO this is true.

Add to this a head, coat, character that fits the breed standard & you have the total dog.

I sat for ages watching dogs at shows before I started judging judging breed, I know what I want from the breeds I have owned & own & this is what I interpret the breed standard to be.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks JoedeeUK, thats a great way of putting it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Yep I agree with nero, visit loads of shows, you'll soon see whats meant. Read the breed standard of a breed beforehand and look at the placed dogs of that breed and see how they compare in your eyes. Everyones idea of a perfect dog is different, its normal for people not to agree in some aspects.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Borderdawn, the last show I went to, I kept picking out dogs which I thought were good examples and not one was chosen lol. I might have to face the fact I coudn't fall over a good dog!!!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Many people do seem to have a natural 'eye' for a good dog and can pick out the best constructionally, even though they couldn't tell you why...... but I think a good foundation in learning the basics, by way of a course of seminars is the way to go.

I was lucky enough to do my initial judge's training in the GSD world and a course run by The League with various tutors such as Percy Elliot and Roy & Clarissa Allan, taught me the basics.

Another good learning practice is to serve as a student judge in the ring. I did this with Dr Malcolm Willis.... don't know if the KC still allow it?

The learning process is never complete though, and I think the best place to learn is actually as a judge. I learned more each time I judged and I know I'm certainly still learning... at least I hope so!