View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 10:27 AM

PC cleaner I don't want, how do I get rid of it?

Since last night I suddenly have 4 new things above the tabs on my web browser.

Now I know this will be because I clicked on something.
It says 'remove popups', scan spyware', security test and spam protection.

If I click on any of them it takes me to a website to download a pc cleaner of some sort.

Also when I am on the net a sign comes along the top of my browser to tell me "Warning possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your pc...' and of course that also take you to a website whereby you can download a pc cleaner.

How do I get rid of them?

I've done a spybot search and destroy and removed all that bought up. I am just doing a norton anti-virus, which so far hasn't found anything.
I've looked in add/remove programs but to no avail.... help!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 01:27 PM
i get those pop ups all the time! i need help too!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Apparently it's Smitfraud, and there are tools to fix it but I'm too scared to do it! lol
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 05:34 PM
im certainly not paying to do it!!!!
maddmaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2007, 07:58 PM
dont know if this will work but worth a try click on tools, then click on manage add ons, then click on enable or disable add ons a box opens and it should list all the things you got on your toolbars at the top of the screen scroll down and see if any of the things you got are listed if they are you can disable them hope this helps
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:17 PM
If it's a Smitfraud, then Spybot S & D should remove it, as its one of the most popular.

I have no faith in Norton as it lets in all and sundry and has yet to prove it's worth to me.

Just to add if you disable things from the toolbar, it will enable itself if it's an unwanted. You need to go into your control panel and Add/Remove programmes and find anything you dont want there and click on uninstall.

Do that first, then run Spybot S & D which should sort anything else out.

I use Avast Anti Virus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot D & D, I run them all once a week, along with disc cleaner, clear all cookies and form data, and defrag, and recommend anyone do this weekly to keep it running smoothly.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
If I click on any of them it takes me to a website to download a pc cleaner of some sort.

Also when I am on the net a sign comes along the top of my browser to tell me "Warning possible spyware or adware infection! Click here to scan your pc...' and of course that also take you to a website whereby you can download a pc cleaner.

!
I've just read this bit properly, sorry !!!

As soon as you click on ANY of these warnings, it tags your computer and will continually pop up all the time. They are NOT legit cleaners, hence having to pop up to advertise itself.

If you ever get these banner ads or pops, DON'T click on them at all, just ignore them, some are viruses, some are trogans, and some are serious worms !!
maddmaggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:30 PM
sorri it was just a thought about enabling and disabling from the toolbar when i had norton i kept getting an error everytime i shut the net down so i disabled norton confidental helper and that got rid of the problem.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Well I did the add/remove progs and it wasn't there.
I did spybot search & destroy. It finds it everytime and fixes it but it's still there.

I've done what madd maggie said and the toolbar appears to be gone.

I know not to click on stuff, but it's already been done.

Norton can't find anything either btw.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Download a programme called Tune-Up Utilities and run all the cleaners on it.

It's possible that although the programme has gone and invisible, ALL programmes leave traces of themselves on your PC. Tune-UP will find all the lost fragments and dead-end pieces that lead to nothing and remove them all.

Once you've done this, you can continue to use the trial period, or just uninstall it, but it's a very good piece of kit for thoroughly cleaning your PC, as all the anti viruses in the world dont clean up the little traces left behind, hence you still having a toolbar when the programme isnt there !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >