View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:26 AM

Does anyone elses dogs sleep outside????

Princess and Rogue have always (since their first night with us) slept in a kennel outside at night. Last winter during a really cold snap I thought it kinder to let them sleep in the kitchen - but they hated it, barked, howled and scratched till they were let out!
I have been reading old threads (to educate myself on all things doggie) and came accross one where most peoples dogs slept indoors
Im interested in what people think - surely they are not the only doggies on dogsey to sleep outside
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Mine sleep indoors, for my own piece of mind, I'm too afraid of thieves and don't have purpose built kennels that are secure enough.

Although if they had their way, mine would happily sleep outside...............quite often I'm seen dragging them in by the ears at around 2.00am, when it's -10 outside, cos they are protesting to coming in
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Mine sleep in our bedroom. It's a flipping nightmare but there were reasons we did it and now all hell breaks loose if they're shut out.

Fingal (Springer) loves to stay outside but if i was starting all over again I would have a secure pen for all of them them in the garden and try to develop a routine where they were happy to be in or out depending on what suited us.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Mine sleep in my bedroom with me, they like to be with thier mum and would howl and bark if left outside and poor mummy me would also be worrying in case they got ill or something happened and I didn't know about it soon enough. Also they are there to alert me to anything if needed.
I would also worry about them being dognapped and a million other things.
Many yerars ago when we used to show and breed dogs we did have a few live outside and they were happy, but these days I only have my two and I got them as my companions which they wouldn't be if I had them outside.
I think I'm just a big softy and need them with me.
Adorabull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2007, 06:47 AM
My dogs would scream the house down if left outside at night.
Our Staffy sleeps with our son, and my Aussie Bulldog sleeps in the lounge room... only because she snores so loudly that I was becoming sleep deprived
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 07:01 AM
When I was a kid, my dad built a double dog-house that went inside the shed all along one wall. Our two pekinese slept in there very happily every night for all their tme with us. Personally, I prefer mine indoors as I like to be "told" when something's amiss. Conversely, I'm not overkeen on being woken at 0340 by Mya, but she did have a reason...
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 07:14 AM
All mine sleep in an insulated kennel, with a heat lamp on during the coldest months.

Dawn R.
mucky_pup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2007, 07:33 AM
My 6 all sleep indoors would never think of them sleeping outside ,but 2 being greyhounds can not stand adverse temp , so they all sleep on sofas or quilts that are dotted around the floor.I like to treat them as family and would not make them sleep outside.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2007, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't yourself on the basis that most dogsey members keep their dogs inside.
Simply because most dogsey members live in the UK, where dogs sleeping inside is the cultural norm, so you are bound to discover this.
Whereas, if you posted on a New Zealand dog board (for example), you would find the opposite.
I'm guessing that Ireland, being a similar 'rural' nation like NZ, dogs sleeping outside may also be more normal?
As long as the dogs are happy, warm, comfortable, secure, and sheltered, then its just down to cultural perception really, not right or wrong.
(also depends how much time you spend with your dogs during the day...for example, you might spend most of your time outside yourself - as a family including dogs - like New Zealanders, or you might have your back door open until bedtime, giving your dogs the choice to come and go as they please).
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Mine sleep in the bedroom, though Ozzie does like the patio door left open on that he can go lay on the balcony. But he's always on his bed when we wake up in the morning

Tried to close the door last night, as it was a little chilly, he protested by scratching at the door for god knows how long, so had to get up and open it for him in the end!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »