Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

How many of you own dogs that do jobs without asking

I've just been wondering, how many of you own dogs that do jobs without you asking or teaching them. It dawned on me this morning Skye has developed her own routine of jobs without being taught.
1) She comes with me every morning to let out the rabbit and guinea-pig, she skillfully nudges them out into the run checks the cage them leaves.
2) when I start tidying up the garden I have a black bag for all the leaves, cutting etc., she collects sticks and drops them in the bag.
3) When the postman delivers she fetches the post (not been taught)
4) When I,m doing housework, picking up after the kids, she collects objects off the floor and stores them all in a corner of the room, and when I polish the coffee table I usually put the vase and coasters on the floor, once I,ve finished she pushes the objects towards me with her nose.
5) Then lastly at night she puts the rabbit and guinea-pig away ready to be fed.
I know she of working stock but these are just some of the jobs she's OBVIOUSLY feels are hers as she developed all of these by herself.
Now incase your wondering what Reah does........ absolutely nothing, she,s happy letting Skye do it all LAZY MARE.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Sam considers that his job is covering my sofa with white hairs.

Amber's job is chief chewer... however, it is actually covert ops in family protection. Let me explain...
If something comes in through the door - it may be a bomb. Logical solution = chew it to death.

If something's on the floor - it may be a tripping hazard. So, therefore, chew it to bits and it'll be safe.

Dirty laundry may be harbouring deadly diseases... Amber considers it an honour to put her life on the line to remove such dangerous articles of clothing, and destroy... by chewing, of course!

Finally, all meals left momentarily unattended are a serious risk, and must be "tasted" for palatability and poisons before we may proceed.

Skye sounds very intelligent . I was telling my OH the other day about "helper dogs" for disabled people, and how lovely it would be if we could train one of ours to help me with certain tasks around the house.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Amber sounds like my sons dog only she chews the Cat. I'm going to look into classes for Skye she,s smart. Sometimes too smart..wish she would do the ironing though....now that would be good.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm still trying to get my husband trained.....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I'm still trying to get my husband trained.....
I know that one.................bad news when the dogs out smarts the hubby eh.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I know that one.................bad news when the dogs out smarts the hubby eh.
Yep! Sadly, the dog doesn't have to do much to outsmart Baz Good job I've got a sense of humour, eh?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
...can I add to Sez and Ambers list ..
...stripping the wallpaper in the kitchen (somewhat prematurely )
...ridding the house of Dadd-long- legs and spiders,
...digging up the lawn to find long lost clothes pegs,
...putting a pretty tooth shaped pattern on my pine bookshelf in the kitchen,
...turning over the soil in the lavender bed single handed,
...clearing the fallen leaves by eating them all

Ps just off down the field where Millie will endeavourer to clean up all the dried cow poo to help the farmer ...
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Well mine can demolish any leftovers in 5secs flat, they can dig tunnels like moles, the sods can even get in the car themselves if I leave a window open.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Pepper's only skill is she motivates the kids to tidy up - if it's left lying around it gets chewed!

Skye sounds like a complete genius of a dog!

J
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Takara shreds the post for me....

Both dogs clean the dinner dishes if they're left on the side for longer than 5 minutes...

Does that count?

Most of the stuff Takara does was taught at one point, but she no longer needs asking.
If I'm preparing food in the kitchen, she walks around after me pushing shut the drawers and kitchen cupboards etc.
When I hang out the washing, if I drop a peg she picks it up and passes it back to me.
She has always (without being taught) accompanied me out to the back to hang out the washing and lies close to me but in a position so she can see if anyone comes in the front gate

The main thing Takara does that she was never taught, is tell me that my leg is bleeding. I have a medical condition that means my leg bleeds for no reason, and I don't always know when I'm bleeding.
Takara pushes her nose against my leg when it's bleeding and doesn't let up on the subject until I've sorted it out. This is obviously really good for me because it means I can know and put a dressing on so I encouraged it but now, an occupational hazard of hers is that she follows women around with her nose stuck to their groin, pushing on them when they're 'in season'
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >