Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Rehoming a Rescue

Would you neuter your current dog if it was a requirement the rescue insisted on before placing the dog with you?
(Bearing in mind all other checks were passed)
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't see why that should make any difference, as I am assume the rescue will be neutered.

It annoys me how over the top some of these rescue centres can be, when looking at potential homes for the dogs. I know they have a responsibility to ensure the long term safety, and welfare of the animal, but it seems a bit OTT sometimes.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
My dogs are all neutered anyway...i think its the responsible thing to do, so the answer is yes i would.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
When we eventually get ours, he will be neutered however i will not be dictated to, bullied or cornered to have a "none fixed" dog spayed/neutered
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't,both my dogs are shown.

I suppose this makes me irresponsible especially having opposite sexes.
I'm sorry but nobody would tell me what to do with MY dog that I paid alot of money for.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm all for rescue, but this requirement does seem to be a bit OTT. As I-Mac says, the rescue dog will be neutered, so it can't result in a pup.

Whilst both my dogs are neutered and I will probably always do so, I can see why people get so wound up about requirements like this and I don't think the rescue is doing itself any favours. I wonder how many decent homes they are missing out on in trying to enforce this?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't neuter those already with me but would be happy to neuter the rescue if that was a requirement.
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I have owned a rescue befor , several infact and to be honest only one we got from rescue was neutured , he was an older gsd , but he had been neutered by his previous owner , i think it should be left to the responsibility of the new owner , as to whether they wish to or not , not imposed on them , im with imac on this i to think its a bit ott , to be honest xxdk
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I wouldnt neuter but I would expect the rescue dog to have been done. The organisation I'm involved with always neuters or castrates before rehoming. I definatly wouldnt as my dogs are all shown and I agree with Sal its my choice.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I only ever have rescues and yes absolutely, no question.
I did adopt once from a rescue who did`nt have it as policy, [ at the time ], but I got him snipped anyway as soon as he was healthy enough for the op, and I did adopt one too young [ well, depending on some points of view], to have been done when she was rescued but the policy there is they must be done `when appropriate`.
But if I bought from a breeder [ never will but hypothetically ], I`d still have it done anyway regardless of showing or breeding potential because I would never breed anyway, and if I wanted to show, a dog having no reproductive capability is not a fault in the ring [ even if some dark ages judges seem to think it is ].

It is a standard requirement from most rescues and if anyone does`nt intend to adhere to it they should not adopt in the first place as they would only risk the dog being reclaimed for breach of adoption contract :smt018

edited to add, re-read the question and realised I`d only answered re neutering policy of the rescued dogs, not on a persons existing dog - I have`nt come across rescues `insisting` that an existing dog be done as part of an agreement to adopt another dog. Politely discussing neutering of an existing dog is fair enough but to try to insist on it is a bit short sighted as the rescue should be making sure the rescue dog is done before being placed in a home with an entire dog where a mating could happen. It does make sense to me that all non-breeding dogs be neutered for their longterm health but it seems a bit odd for a rescue to make it a contractual thing on a dog they did`nt home themselves.
If anyone did adopt under such a contract though, and did not abide by it, they would still be in breach of contract and could lose the dog they adopted as a result.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »