Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Dogs for dinner? Stop the dog meat trade now

Please help this very very worthy and important cause, i think we could really make a difference

WARNING: Link contains footage which may upset some users

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...n688grr8583m8?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I dont think anything will make a difference, you wont change their culture and heritage, and personally I dont think we have a right to.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 11:57 AM
There's no way I could watch that video I'm afraid, and although it truly disgusts me, like Dawn says, little ole you and me aint gonna stop it! As long as it moves, they'll eat it! Barbaric, unhumane, atroscious, but there's nothing I can do, even if I won the lottery and donated all the winnings!
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I dont think anything will make a difference, you wont change their culture and heritage, and personally I dont think we have a right to.
I think your right i dont think anythink will make a difference but i really think this should,nt be going on if there was a way of stopping it then yes i think we have every right dogs are pets there not meant to be eaten.i know we eat cows, lamb,and stuff but for one thing we dont have them as pets thats the difference. i hope i dont offend you Borderdawn but it does upset me to think what people can do to dogs.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 01:02 PM
My opinion is that no matter what we do or say - the meat trade is still going to happen. No matter how much we punish or educate these people it still goes on.

its like horse meat - i have no problem with slaughtering horses as i think we have too many horses (Especially in america) for the amount of people there is in the world, i do however, have a problem with how horses (i also assume dogs) are killed

hung upside down and throats slit while still alive - seen this done its discusting

if slaughter happens it should eb pain free and dignified for the animal - we cant stop slaughter but we should make it more humane, how its done
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
I think your right i dont think anythink will make a difference but i really think this should,nt be going on if there was a way of stopping it then yes i think we have every right dogs are pets there not meant to be eaten.i know we eat cows, lamb,and stuff but for one thing we dont have them as pets thats the difference. i hope i dont offend you Borderdawn but it does upset me to think what people can do to dogs.

Of course you havent offended me I absolutely agree, to me eating dogs and cats is sickening, but then so is eating Beef to many cultures. I also dont agree with how these animals are kept, but then I dont agree with how many of our meat animals are kept either!

I just dont think any petition will stop anything, you cant change peoples cultures with a list of signatures from people half way around the worls who see their meat products as pets.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I AGREE WITH DAWN , YOU CANT CHANGE SOMEONE CULTURE , AND THEY PROBABLY THINK A LOT OF OUR DIFFERENT CULTURES IS BARBARIC XXDK

sorry forgot caps was on xx
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I have to say im shocked by many of your opinions , especially at, "why bother, a petition wont change a thing" type of attitude...petitions do work and are working, plus all the other work that goes on.

I eat meat, but am very picky on where i get it so that i know it is well cared for, not pumped full of rubbish and slaughtered in a humane manner.
I am actually not against any culture, country or religeon eating what they want as long as it is treated as such and this is why i support this campaign.

With regard to culture on this matter maybe you should read this below:
These animals were victims of the dog meat trade -- a trade banned by law in 1998 but still active in certain regions of the country due to lenient fines and other light penalties.
The large majority of Filipinos do not condone the consumption of dog meat. While some bill it as a "cultural practice," the commercial trade is anything but. Local organizations successfully lobbied to strengthen the laws against it, but they are looking to us to help bring awareness to this problem and end it for good.

The dogs used in the trade are rounded up in the streets, stolen, or even bought from their unknowing owners for a paltry sum. All the dogs pulled off that truck in the video, were friendly, wagging their tails. Even after their experience, they still trusted us. They still hoped for a pat on the head, a word of kindness, someone to care.

Let these dogs know there is still hope.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But cultures do change - it was part of our culture to badger bait, cock fight and stuff small children up chimneys (not convinced we should of done away with that one) you have also condemned those involved in dog fighting yet it could be said it was part of their culture.

Not really aimed at you Dawn (I just know Im going to get rolly eyes thing back) but to those who think things dont change.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 05:02 PM
So tell me what petition HAS worked then??? At the moment there are thousands of us in my local town trying to stop them closing the A & E, thousands and thousands of people with their petitions but they will close it! Sarah Payne's mother petitioned to get the Megan's Law in this Country, thousands and thousands of people signed it, so where is that???? You have answered your own question really when you quoted "The large majority of Filipinos do not condone the consumption of dog meat. While some bill it as a "cultural practice," the commercial trade is anything but!" which means they must have been fighting to get it stopped, so why hasn't it been stopped, especially as you state it is now law????

Like I said, we can sign as many petitions as we want, doesn't mean we can stop this horrible act going on, sadly.

The only people that seem to be getting results is the WSPA organisation who ARE getting results with their ongoing aid for the poor chained up bears, the tigers stuck in trailers, the gorilla's etc. etc. but it STILL doesn't stop it going on does it, even though all that is against the law too?

I've signed hundreds of petitions for this and that in my time to no avail, people will do what they want to do even if it is illegal, and this one's been going on since the year dot, so I don't think petitions will really help it. That's just my opinion, and quite honestly I prefer to put such things at the back of my mind, coz like I said before, unfortunately little ole me can't do diddly squatt about it!

Quite honestly, I'm surprised you can even bring yourself to watching that video if it's as bad as I think it must be? Good luck to you in your fight for these poor dogs I hope maybe this petition will get it stopped once and for all, but I very much doubt it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >