Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rob12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2007, 06:11 AM

Dog kills baby

Yesterday, in Australia, there was a story from Western Australia, that a dog killed a two week old baby.

It doesn't really matter what breed of dog it was - any dog can kill, if it is not familiared - not prepared, not watched and most of all, not SUPERVISED.

Love your dog - trust it? Yes, but always watch it around small children.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 06:25 AM
How sad, the poor baby, bet the poor dog has been pts , imo the dog should not have been left alone with the baby, this happens time and again, and the dog gets the blame, not the parents for leaving it unsupervised, so so sad
rob12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2007, 06:39 AM
The parents of the child "thought" the dog was outside - they had not made sure that it was. I would never have a dog in the house with a child, unless I had put a security door on the childs room.
Yes, the dog was PTS - a dog kills, it is automatically put down.
Dolly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:03 AM
What an awful story, a dog should never be leaft alone with a child, totally the parents error in my view. Extreme carelesness & the baby & dog have suffered as a result, such a shame.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree with the others. Will parents never learn. Now their child has been attacked and this poor dog PTS because of their negligence. So sad especially when it could so easily have been prevented
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:46 AM
the fact is that a dog could easily kill a 2 week old baby by squashing it unintentionally, so the parents just shouldnt have left them tigether.

easier said than doine some people might say - yes but having had a baby 9 months ago i was so careful to never leave them alone together, ans to praise my dog when he was gentle with the baby

just the squeaky noises etc a young baby makdes alone attract a dog and how are they supposed to differentiate a baby from a squeaky toy for example??

we should not forget that our dogs are not babysitters and neither are they human to know what not to do unless we teach them.

i feel for the parents of course as losing a child must be the worst thing but i feel for the dog and its so sad that 2 innocent lives are lost
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:51 AM
as a mother and dog owner,imo the parents were neglegent,the baby was 2 weeks old,where were they when the dog got in? i know there suffering now for there actions,the death of a child so unavoidable,and the poor dog pts,how was the child killed?did the dog bite the baby?or smother the baby,some dogs are attracted by the noises of small babies and get very excited,maybe the baby was crying.how sad.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I agree completely with Brundog, dogs have so many human like characteristics, I think that sometimes people do forget where they originate from. I think its dreadfully sad that this is still happening all over the world, I wish that people would show more intelligence and watch their dogs. I don't have a child, but when I was married, my step son, who was 5 at the time, wasn't left with the dogs let alone a newborn baby - its just horrible.
rob12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2007, 03:27 AM
The dog, (a 2 year old), was taken "away" by the brother in law - for "care". It was returned on that day, but the owners did not introduce the baby and dog. The dog saw and attacked a "stranger and/or intruder" in the house. If your are pregnant, or have a small child/baby, always closely supervise them. Never let them alone together. Dogs, even though our companions, are still pack animals.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2007, 07:32 AM
So if I understand correctly they made no attempt to get the dog used to having a baby in the house and just brought them back together after 2 weeks?
What a tragic event, 2 innocent lives lost
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >