Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Feeding two pups-together or apart?

Molly(ESS) is now about 61/2 months and is getting JB wellbeloved puppy and seems to be doing fairly well with it but she is a fairly slow eater and never finishes her food. Since getting Charlie (lab) 9 weeks who is like a garbage disposal unit on legs she seems to be eating even less. Charlie is on the same and I have been feeding them together (just giving Molly her bowl slightly before)as they seem to be tolerating it fine.
Should I seperate them completely as Charlie is hoovering up her food and then moving on to Molly's and Molly just walks away and lets her have it.

There doesn't seem to be any food aggression or anything, Charlie is just a wee greedy guts and I worry that she will get too fat and Molly too thin.

As this is my first time with two dogs I would appreciate any advice that you all have.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I would feed them apart or stop Charlie pinching Molly's food. I have a springer, Tia who finishes her bowl and tries to hoover up Teal and Dotty's food. She won't go near Pippa or Milly as they tell her off. I stand over them when eating and then put Tia out of the way so Dotty and Teal can finish their meal.

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I agree with Helen. I feed my dogs in the same room but have started to keep an eye on them, as Rip (a collie) will scoff his in no time and then stick his nose into the others dishes to try and get some of theirs too. They tolerate this, but he is definitely getting a little podgy, so is now on a bit of a diet!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
Molly(ESS) is now about 61/2 months and is getting JB wellbeloved puppy and seems to be doing fairly well with it but she is a fairly slow eater and never finishes her food. Since getting Charlie (lab) 9 weeks who is like a garbage disposal unit on legs she seems to be eating even less. Charlie is on the same and I have been feeding them together (just giving Molly her bowl slightly before)as they seem to be tolerating it fine.
Should I seperate them completely as Charlie is hoovering up her food and then moving on to Molly's and Molly just walks away and lets her have it.

There doesn't seem to be any food aggression or anything, Charlie is just a wee greedy guts and I worry that she will get too fat and Molly too thin.

As this is my first time with two dogs I would appreciate any advice that you all have.
This is the same as Max and Murphy....

Little Fat-Puppy Murphy will hoover his food up and then boot Max out of the way and eat his too, and Max just stands there....

I've taken to feeding them roughly at the same time, Max slightly before; but at opposite ends of the kitchen. I watch Murphy eating, then hustle him straight outside for toilet duties, and I shut Max in the kitchen to finish his food.

Once Max has eaten his fill (not always the whole amount) I remove his bowl and let him outside too.

If I don't watch them, Murphy will eat both lots of food. Luckily, I can give him a warning "No" and he is beginning to stop....
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Thank you both-I will try and keep them apart I think and see how it goes
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 02:12 PM
i would definitely try them apart. Thankfully i did not have this problem - rather the other way around! I had a greedy lab and a fussy baby puppy. She wouldnt eat all her food so i used to encourage her by letting murphy polish it off - she soon decided she didnt like sharing it with him so now even the threat of 'have you finished? Gonna give the rest to murphy then?' makes her gobble it down lol. She never tries to take his food though given half the chance he will eat whatever he can grab of hers (although that is not a lot cos she tells him off and he is a big wussy.)

Feed them seperately or watch over them while they eat and make it clear to the pup that he cant just help himself to the older dogs food. I would tell Murphy a very stern 'NO. leave it' when he started towards the pups food. He wouldnt touch it after a while if i was watching then she grew up a bit and told him off herself!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Like has been said, you need to either separate or watch them when they are eating and be ready to intervene. I feed two of mine together and one eats slower than the other. I tend to keep an eye on them from the kitchen (where our other dog is fed) and if I see one moving towards the others bowl before they have finished then I just call their name and tell them to wait.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Two dogs here too!! I had to watch them like a hawk at first as my boy Harvey is like a waste disposal unit and would given the opportunity polish off Archie's food ( he is much slower ) I still watch them both at meal times, but Harvey will sit and watch now without barging in and Archie bless him get ALL his food!
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice-I fed them apart tonight and just took Charlie away outside when she had finished, trouble is then Molly wanted out to see what I was doing and forgot about her dinner.

Have decided tomorrow to feed Molly and OH can feed Charlie and take her straight outside, we'll see if that works out better.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2007, 06:52 AM
I have this problem - Hoki, the greedy one always stuffs hers down and would finish off Kip's, if I let her. Kip isn't really food orientated and will just walk away if Hoki wants his.

So now I put Hoki's outside - some in her bowl and some scattered in the lawn - this way she takes longer to eat. Meanwhile I'm in the kitchen standing over Kip to make sure he eats his!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >