View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 08:04 AM

Glucosamine in dog food. Is it enough? Does it matter?

Hi guys

Just a thought...

I'm about to change dogfood for Luna as she's scratching on the Nutro lamb&rice and now also on the Nutro chicken&rice.

Have found a great food. But there's no glucosamine, MSM or chondroiton in it.

Now I wanna know. Is the amount added in the nutro, hills and other LB food brands even enough? Do I already start adding something now, or should I wait till she's getting older?

I live on the first floor, so Luna has 3 sets of stairs (with 8 steps each) to walk up and down at least 3 times a day (3 times up and 3 times down) AND I do at some point want to try her in agility (on a fun level - after all its a lab not a border collie I have )

But if the amount in the foods do have an affect, then I will have to look for yet another brand...

J
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 01:08 PM
why not feed her a natural diet?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:42 PM
U mean like barf?

Well I'm afraid.....

U see Luna is my first dog, and as a labrador, she easily gains weight. And the way I stay in control, is to be sure that she gets a certain amount of food. Like now, I know she get's 130 grams every morning and every evening.

That's me...
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:51 PM
thats an even better reason to put her on a natural diet! there is no processed sugars like you would find in some commerical pet food (for taste) and a lot less carbohydrate (in fact the only carbohydrate my dogs consume in through veg) which makes the dogs put on weight easily. fat on bones isnt 'real' fat, this fat is digested before sugars, and used up first, then the sugars (carbs) get broken down, and if not needed at the time get stored (the 'fat' that we think of). ask any barfer or natural feeder, and they will tell you that they can tell from week to week if there dog is gaining or losing weight by even a fraction by looking and touching you can tell if the dog needs more or less, and adjust accordingly. its that easy. i suggest you get your hands on a billinghurst book (it has everything you need to start feeding raw). you r pup will be healthy and bright, and will probably live longer because you are feeding PROPERLY. sorry to preach, but when you know something is right, you need to teach others so they go down the right path too....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh its okay, I am actually a silent member of the labrador barf site.

But see here i Denmark, its not that easy to get bones, atleast not to a good price......

I WILL see if I can find a Billinghurst book...