Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 09:33 PM

The "Dogsey" book hits the media....

Well, four days after the advance copies arrived here from the printers, I have secured deals to sell the book in three shops including a prime town centre location, and meetings are being arranged which, with a bit of luck, will result in a radio interview and TV appearance to promote the book.
I am hoping that the radio interview - which can be accessed online - will be recorded, as I tend to mix up my words when I'm nervous!!!! Even standing in their offices discussing today, I kept saying the wrong words! Luckily, the TV slot will only be around 30 seconds so I won't need to say much!
The publishers want to know where the official launch will be. A bit tricky, that one - potential customers are spread all over the UK and Europe looking at the initial interest and advance orders. Somewhere mid Channel I think! lol
Seriously, it might be the UK - any suggestions anyone?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Where would you like to sell it? How about a midlands branch of Pets at Home or Waterstones?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm avoiding the big stores at the moment as they want 50% commission and until I get into high volume sales, I'd be getting practically nothing. At least online I get a better deal.
I suppose Crufts would be a good place but (a) I can't wait that long and (b) it would be prohibitively expensive. Tricky one.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

31-07-2007, 10:27 PM
What about August SKC or is that too soon its the last weekend in August and also thought it would not be so far for you to travel.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
It would cost too much to come over by car plus I would need a proper stand and equipment plus indemnity insurance (public liability) as well as the charge for having a stand. Don't forget I am currently unemployed. Royalties on the book are not payable until January 2008. I am not sure that SKC would be the best location for coverage, nor would it attract the general public in sufficient numbers. A book launch also has to be accessible by the media and again, very few would make it other than local papers/radio which would have limited effect.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 12:59 AM
well done on the book, so proud of our dogsey members, shona x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:24 AM
How about sending a copy to all the dog magazines and papers and asking them to review it in their publication, that way just the cost of a book and postage and then effectively a free ad in all the dog magazines!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Reviews are being done in two of the dog papers already. I haven't approached the magazines yet, they are hard to come by over here so I will have to look on the internet for UK titles when I get the chance!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:40 AM
what about a companion show somewhere?

sorry dont know locations or maybe at an RSPCA/Dogs Trust Centre?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
No, far too small a venue for a launch, which is to bring it to the attention of the media. I need to get national level coverage in the UK and Ireland and with copies ordered from Norway, France, Hungary and a possibility of Germany I am looking even beyond that, in time. Hopefully they will tell their friends in the meantime!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >