Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2007, 04:56 AM

Question for GSD Owners in the US

If there is anyone on here who owns a German Shepherd and lives in the US... or anyone who knows anything about this. I would like to own a GSD but I heard that it can be really hard to get home insurance from alot of different insurance companies if you own a German Shepherd (or any other dog that has been known to bite people). How bad is it? I don't want to get a GSD if it's going to be a big trouble to get home insurance.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi DrIvEn

I neither own GSDs nor live in the US, but maybe your best bet is to call round a few insurance companies and see what they can tell you. Get it from the horse's mouth as it were. I know some insurers here actually do you a better deal if you have any dogs, because burglars are less likely to pay you a visit

Originally Posted by DrIvEn View Post
or any other dog that has been known to bite people
I wonder if there's any breed that hasn't been known to...
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Hi DrIvEn

I neither own GSDs nor live in the US, but maybe your best bet is to call round a few insurance companies and see what they can tell you. Get it from the horse's mouth as it were. I know some insurers here actually do you a better deal if you have any dogs, because burglars are less likely to pay you a visit

I wonder if there's any breed that hasn't been known to...

Really? I wish it was like that here. I hate that it could be difficult to find a home insurance company willing to insure me if I have a GSD just because he COULD bite someone. It's so dumb.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I dont live in the US, but I am a member of several US GSD forum and no one as ever mentioned they have difficulties getting home insurance.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Some home insurance policies have pit bull clauses, but for the most part its not a problem. GSD's are not commonly seen as dangerous in the U.S.

And thats strait from a former GSD owner living in the U.S.
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Some home insurance policies have pit bull clauses, but for the most part its not a problem. GSD's are not commonly seen as dangerous in the U.S.

And thats strait from a former GSD owner living in the U.S.
lol But you live in TX. Everything is legal there. Every state has different rules I guess I just need to figure out what it's all like for the state I'm going to be in.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Will they give you insurance if you have separate insurance for the dog. I have home insurance but I also have third party liability insurance from my dog club, in fact you have to take it out when you become a member & I'm actually covered under my home insurance as well for in the house or garden, but if yours won't do it perhaps you could take out two separate insurances.