Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 12:32 PM

I despair sometimes

Hello folks,

I really do despair of people sometimes. You may or may not remember me writing about a couple over the road who got a dog couldn't cope with it so sent it back to the rescue & then went out and got a puppy, depite having their hands full with 5 cats, a toddler & both working full time.
Well I have taken Poppy (now 8 months old) out on our walk this morning as she loves to play with Louie. If I hadn't taken her I was told she wouldn't have had a walk at all. I think that she regularly misses walks, infact we try to take her most weekends to allow her to stretch her legs.
When I dropped her off I was chatting to the bloke & he explained they were in severe money troubles, so much so they couldn't afford proper dog food so Poppy had had cornflakes & baked beans for her tea last night Yet they managed to pay £14.00 for sunbed cream
(Therefore a bag of dog food has gone round)

I am disgusted, she is a lovely dog but they don't deserve her, she sits at home most days just staring out of the window waiting for someone to come in to let her out & pretty much being ignored when they are there

I have already told him we will have her no questions but his girlfriend won't have it. I really hope he can convince her to change her mind.

Rant over, thanks for listening xx
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmm. Must be very frustrating. I'll bet we all know someone who, in our view, really shouldn't have the dog they have. I know that I do!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Good on you taking the wee mite out yourself,says a lot for you.It is sad but people do take on pups when they shouldn't.How did you manage to hold your tongue because I couldn't have,still it could have been a lot worse if the wee mite hadn't been fed at all.At least she has had something to eat even though it's not what you and I would feed a puppy.
You should try to be diplomatic and explain if they feed it correctly she will be a lot more healthy etc.Good luck xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd remind them of the New Animal Welfare act where they now have, by law, a duty of care to look after their animals properly. If they can't afford dog food they are breaking the law!
Becky
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 02:51 PM
This is so awful, but good for you for biting your tongue and helping the poor mite out, as much as you would love to say something I am sure, this could then scupper any chance of them letting you walk the pup or take her home in the future!

They sound so very irresponsible I would be tempted to report them, but again would anything get done?? I really do hope he manages to change his girlfriends mind, if she had a heart she would let her go to a good home.

Please keep me updated

xxxx
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Good for you. I would do as Mahooli suggests. Get Animal Welfare onto them. Or, perhaps, drop a hint that is what could happen and rather than wait you would take the wee mite into your household. Make sure they know it is not a temp arrangement but permanent. You don't want to take it in, feed it up and then they take it back.

It is great what you do already for the wee soul. Good for you. I hope you succeed in making them see sense.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys, you have confirmed to me that I'm not being over sensitive about Poppy's situation.
I'm going to have to tread carefully with the girlfriend as she is slightly over reactive & has a temper to match ( to give you an idea they had a barny about money a few months ago & she tried to cut her wrists with her toddler son in the house, I ended up babysitting at midnight whilst they took her to hospital to stitch her up!!), so will definately mention the animal welfare act next time I go round.

I will keep you all updated, hopefully we will have her with us soon or at least she will spend more time with us if they won't give her up.
One thing is she does look healthy even if she is on an awful diet. I'll try and post a piccie of her soon