Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Whelping Bitches.

Can I ask you what all you guys whelp your bitches on. I saw a new born litter on another site that was on newspaper. I thought that had gone out in the dark ages! I use vet bed, one in, one washing and one drying lol!
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Can I ask you what all you guys whelp your bitches on. I saw a new born litter on another site that was on newspaper. I thought that had gone out in the dark ages! I use vet bed, one in, one washing and one drying lol!
Becky
When my Gracie had her litter we let her give birth on newspaper so that we could keep changing it, then, once all pups were born they were on vetbed with newspaper underneath. Only difference is I had about 12 pieces on the go Brambles litter was born by c-section so they were all on the vetbed once we got them home. If I do have pups again I will still use the newspaper method
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Vet bed! Washes brilliantly and best of all you can use it over and over again
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I use old sheets and newspapers i get my family and friends to save me there old ones ,and there old towels also , then i just discard them when finished i have whelped all my litters this way with no problems
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I would worry about the print causing problems, and the lack of grip.
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I would worry about the print causing problems, and the lack of grip.
Becky
I don't know about other breeds but English Setters are absolutely useless at whelping, you have to do everything for them, pull the pups free, open the bag, cut the cord and place them on the mother, its so much easier to do this on newspaper and then burn it all. Also because of this mum isn't slipping on the paper as you are cuddling her and coaxing her, (I know that some breeds are self whelpers), so she isn't moving about too much. I also noticed that they love to really dig at the newspaper and shred it up when they are having their contractions.

The pups are on vet bed with newspaper underneath so they aren't actually walking on the newspaper and slipping, they can grip on the vetbed when they're suckling. I start to reduce the vetbed though as they get more active and start potty training on the newspaper.

I wonder which breeds are self whelpers, I know of someone with Aussie Shepherds, (I have written about her before), she leaves them to whelp and look after the pups with no intervention You have to spend the first two weeks staring at an English Setter litter as the mums are so dim they will stand on one rather than walk around it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Blimey I didn't realise they were that bad lol! I've just sat and watched, only had to intervene once but she had trouble passing the pups, other than that no problems at all, apart from the fact that she decided to have the pups on the bed
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:53 PM
i whelp all mine on newspaper with carpet on top,and i have to do most of the cleaning of the pups myself,the bitches will always go for afterbirth first and so i break sack,and clear mouth and then if she wants to do rest i will let her,as it encourages her to try for herself,then if im at loo and one is born she can help herself,but most is done by me,or my OH,or my daughters,depending on whos shift, if its a night whelping,my daughters bitch ahd 6 pups there on thursday and she done the lot herself, with just us observing,but with newspaper you can burn it and replace it and i do same with carpets,and towles,and find this method suits us,but i have known ppl to whelp on wood shavings and theres no telling them,untill there in midway and realises its rubbish for whelping on,then call for help when youv been trying to tell them for months
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Blimey I didn't realise they were that bad lol! I've just sat and watched, only had to intervene once but she had trouble passing the pups, other than that no problems at all, apart from the fact that she decided to have the pups on the bed
Becky
Bless her little heart, Gracies waters broke whilst she was up on the sofa with me, sharing a portion of chips

People understand that having a litter is hard work but most English Setter breeders will tell you that the breed would die out if they had to rely on themselves to mate, whelp and rear any pups. They really are heavy going but worth every moment spent fretting about them.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Vet bed here as well but I put paper underneath, i'm thinking of buying shares in a company I buy so much
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >