Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 09:27 AM

Aitjie

This is not one of my dogs, but he passed through my life, and seeing as no-one else will miss him, thought I owed him something ...

Aitjie (dont even try pronounce it, it is Afrikaans) was a boerboel. He passed away last week from a "heart attack". He was my OH's mothers boyfriends dog. OH's mother and sister live with boyfriend.

I have never been very close to this poor dog, as he is vicious (they can never really make up their minds whethere he was or not, so did not take the chance). Anyway, Aitjie lived outside 24/7. It is a house where the grass has been completely replaced with paving. He has probably never been on a walk in his life (dont know if he could even walk on a lead), and he lived out his miserable existance in this boring paved garden.
I started acknowledging the dog when I was told that during a thunderstorm (and we have bad ones) he had jumped into the house through a tiny window out of fear.
To cut a long story short, about a month and a half ago the family told me they were thinking of putting him down as "he has started getting ticks and fleas"!!!! No really, thats what they said. I explained that hte dog just needed to be treated for ticks and fleas. It fell on deaf ears. Then I was told (as I dont go there often) that he had a "sore" on his body that had exploded. I guessed that the poor boy had a cyst that had burst. They reckoned that this was another reason to put him down. I explained that the dog needed to see a vet and vet could more than likely sort this problem out. They said they would take him. I bugged them to do this for 2 weeks!!! They never took him, then I was told he had died of a heart-attack.
I have to say that I was not sad, almost relieved as I know the old man will be in a better place now. I am sure there are no ticks, fleas or thunder & lightning storms at the rainbow bridge.

Good-bye Aitjie .... I know you will be far better off, and well loved.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2005, 10:12 AM
sleep tight Aitjie
Annestaff
Supervisor

16-02-2005, 12:59 PM
RIP Aitjie
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 06:20 PM
RIP
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Run free Aitjie
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

18-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Poor old fellow. Sometimes death comes as a friend.

It was nice of you to give him a memorial here.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2005, 08:43 AM
run free Aitjie.......a better time awaits you..
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Poor old lad....
RPI Aitjie
Meg
Supervisor

18-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Aitjie Poor boy not much of a life was it..at least Tamarin remembered you
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks all.. I am sure Aitjie is looking down at us from the rainbow bridge and feeling really special for the first time!!!
Or he is rolling around in the cool grass and completely ignoring us, cos it just feels so much better than paving
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >