Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 04:10 PM

The results of the docking ban showing so soon

I could not believe what I was reading last night
I bought the local scot adds paper as im looking for another car, I always scan the horses and dogs when I buy it, last night I was totaly shocked to read,

Rottweiler dog and bitch, breeding pair, bla bla
no price but the add asked for offers!
now I could be wrong but to me this is a knee jerk reaction to the ban on docking, the bar stewards, how can they just get rid
to be honest its prob in the dogs best intrests to be out of there but the shame of them,
I also noticed another add with the same tel number advertising I think it was apso's then at the bottom it said JRT'S also available,

clearly just an income for them
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
What's that got to do with the docking ban? I've seen time and again people getting rid of breeding dogs for no reason other than money.
Becky
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
What's that got to do with the docking ban? I've seen time and again people getting rid of breeding dogs for no reason other than money.
Becky
well unlucky you, to see so much of this, ., Its not unheard of for some to get rid of bitches at 8 years old but down this way to see an add for a breeding pair is rare, its the first time I have saw an add, just seems a bit suspect straight after the ban, but you would say diff,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
You obviously don't go on the same websites as me lol!
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Actually, Shona - I have to agree.
I was talking to a man who breeds a docked breed - I can't remember which one now, and he said there's no way he'll continue to breed if they can't be docked.

It shocked me because I have dallies for what they are, their characters etc, not their looks and say they decided patches were no longer seen as a fault, I wouldn't stop loving the breed...

He said that because they don't look right with long tails, he would discontinue breeding them... odd.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Actually, Shona - I have to agree.
I was talking to a man who breeds a docked breed - I can't remember which one now, and he said there's no way he'll continue to breed if they can't be docked.

It shocked me because I have dallies for what they are, their characters etc, not their looks and say they decided patches were no longer seen as a fault, I wouldn't stop loving the breed...

He said that because they don't look right with long tails, he would discontinue breeding them... odd.

If he thinks so little of his breed thank god his getting out of Breeding.

I can understand(not agree) that some people prefer Docked breeds but to get out of the breed because of it is so Sad IMO
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Unfortuanately if you buy loot etc where i am you will see in just about every edition adult dogs for sale from 2yrs upwards all different breeds.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
What a shame for those poor dogs it really angers me that some people can be so shallow!

I would hope that it is like Becky says, and that they are just selling breeding dogs that are too old but even that really gets me! And it just seems so suspicious that it is Rotties and JRTs, both previously docked breeds.

To me, if they were reputable breeders who were looking to better the breed, it should make no difference that they can no longer dock their puppies.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Don't get me wrong - I could understand if he'd said he'd have no part in breeding because he believes in docking for the safety of the dog - whether it's needed nowadays or not. But the very idea that you can fall out of love with a breed simply because it looks different is awful...

We had a cocker in at the vets this week and I didn't even think about it at first but then realised that the 'bang bang bang' on his kennel was being made by a beautiful big waggy tail!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I did not get the impression from the add that they had reached an age where reg pups with the kc would be impossible, I got the idea that they were being sold together for breeding purposes, kinda I have made all I can from these dogs so someone else can have em,. so sad, I will always have a rotty around tail or no tail, its whats at the other end I love, should temprament go down hill, I would need to reconsider, but all my dogs have fab tempraments so I should be ok for the next 20 years if I breed selectivly within my own lines and only use a good stud dog if required, this may be good for some breeds, ie the money makers will bow out, leaving the true lovers of the breed, who knows its a waiting game now,
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »