Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Getting rid of the smell

Getting rid of the smell of dog wee.

Can anyone offer any advice, a friend of mine has just moved into a house and the smell in the back garden is horrible a strong smell of dog wee. The garden is slabbed/block paved (kinda) no grass. Apparently the previous tennants had four dogs. Who never stepped foot outside the gate or inside the house the council have cleared the garden of dog mess and washed it out with jet washes but now they have properly moved in they have realised the smell of dog wee is still there.

So solutions please. They are loathe to dig up the whole garden and clear the soil from underneath that was my solution, and seeing the size of it today I don't really blame them, although they do want to get rid of the smell before the warm weather really comes.
Their baby daughter is only 7 months old but will soon be out and about, they will take up part of the garden this autumn and replace that with grass.

The neighbours are happy already and said the smell in the Summer was beyond belief and smelling it today 3 months after the people have left I can well believe it.

So solutions please?
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 01:28 PM
we also have a small slabbed yard at the rental house we live in. the only thing i have found that works is Jeyes fluid. they can buy it at any DIY shop in the gardening or cleaning area's. it smells like really strong detol. they will need to keep any pets in until it has dryed. mix a cap full (or a bit more) in a bucket of water and throw it over the slabs. repeat until whole garden covered. leave for about ten minutes and then scrub with a yeard brush. the smell is a bit over-powering but tonnes better then wee!!!!! hope this helps
i do this three times a week as our girls all wee in the yard inbetween walks.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 02:00 PM
YEP i agree best invention ever jeyes fluid
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Jeyes do a yellow garden furniture cleaner in a spray bottle. Has lovely lemony smell. My old dog always wees on the move down the path beside the house... it use to smell awful. We now spray the FC directly on the wee and once it dries, doesn`t smell of anything. Much preferred than the original Jeyes fluid... smells awful.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I'd recommend Crommesol http://www.wallacecameron.com/produc...r/38/1131/0/0/

(either of the last two items on this page)
If you buy the pump dispenser, you can put some in your water can/spray, and it will last forever...almost

smells delicious too!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by CockerMum View Post
we also have a small slabbed yard at the rental house we live in. the only thing i have found that works is Jeyes fluid. they can buy it at any DIY shop in the gardening or cleaning area's. it smells like really strong detol. they will need to keep any pets in until it has dryed. mix a cap full (or a bit more) in a bucket of water and throw it over the slabs. repeat until whole garden covered. leave for about ten minutes and then scrub with a yeard brush. the smell is a bit over-powering but tonnes better then wee!!!!! hope this helps
i do this three times a week as our girls all wee in the yard inbetween walks.
Dito this stuff really works well, with six rotts I go through gallons of it, I buy it from the local soap works, by the gallon, its called black disinfectant but still the same as JF, it cost around £11 a gallon, but its worth it you dont have to use that much, odour free garden
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
I'd recommend Crommesol http://www.wallacecameron.com/produc...r/38/1131/0/0/

(either of the last two items on this page)
If you buy the pump dispenser, you can put some in your water can/spray, and it will last forever...almost

smells delicious too!

does it smell like bubble gum?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:56 PM
JF is probably the best that you can buy locally. I used to go through gallons of the stuff until I was told that it's toxic to cats
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 05:48 AM
There is a natural way.....

Bac to Nature

http://www.bactonature.com/

I use it all the time - it's fab, and really works.

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 11:40 AM
can anyone tell me what jeyes fluid would do to dogs if they walked through it? I searched the web last night but couldn't find anything useful, would it damage the paw pads?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >