Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2007, 07:26 PM

warning to all involved in welfare and rehoming

i was told about a scam last week involving the rehoming of welfare dogs and thought i would put it i9n here to alert every1.
a certain breed club had a woman approach them to help out with welfare and to help rehome dogs.the woman was rehoming them at an amazing rate until she rehomed a dog with a health problem only 4 a comitee member to notice a similar dog for sale in the free paper.on investigation this lady was getting the dogs free to rehome then selling them on in the free newspaper ,obviously taking anything for them and not caring who or where the dogs ended up .when i hear the outcome of this i will let you all know .
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 07:38 PM
this seems to be rife at the mo.

not just with the free ads either.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 08:05 PM
oh how dreadful. what a disgusting way to behave.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jockmcsporran View Post
a certain breed club had a woman approach them to help out with welfare and to help rehome dogs.the woman was rehoming them at an amazing rate
I don't understand why a rescue would pass on dogs without throughly checking the person out first?
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I don't understand why a rescue would pass on dogs without throughly checking the person out first?
agree! The rescue failed to do their homework, and the dogs have payed for it. No respectable rescue would act in this way.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Jockmcsporran View Post
i was told about a scam last week involving the rehoming of welfare dogs and thought i would put it i9n here to alert every1.
a certain breed club had a woman approach them to help out with welfare and to help rehome dogs.the woman was rehoming them at an amazing rate until she rehomed a dog with a health problem only 4 a comitee member to notice a similar dog for sale in the free paper.on investigation this lady was getting the dogs free to rehome then selling them on in the free newspaper ,obviously taking anything for them and not caring who or where the dogs ended up .when i hear the outcome of this i will let you all know .
We too had aa similiar act taking place a lady who was new to the area had put a sign outside her house saying last chance boxer rescue , she never took in any boxers but did seem to be taking in other breeds un wanted puppies a newfie and a mal ,i went up for a nose around being mad keen on dogs and curious why it said boxer rescue and she was taking in everybreed /crossbreed , but boxers .
She said she worked on behalf of as boxer rescue charity
And had been approached by an another animal charity due to there over crowded kennels well the place though it had steel runs erected and kennels at the end of them , the garden area they were placed on were just swampy grass , and the place was filthy
Any way a weeek or so later i was reading the free ads paper and spotted puppies matching there discription and a mal and newfie all for sale ,well i thought no it couldn be could it ,so i called she stated they were being sold due to house move over seas and not being able to take them with her . so i got address from her as i reconised voice on phone aided my sis and her fella , we went of to her place they went in first saying they wanted to rehome a boxer ,she told them same tale as she told me ,i camer then on to her land asking why she was selling dogs that were supposedly for rescue . she quickly told me to leave her property and came at us like a loony .
So i went home phoned the rescue and the boxer rescue she stated she worked on behalf they had never heard from here i then contacted the animal welfare and the police they visited here ,one by one the dogs disapeared and then so did she no one has seen here for about a year now .God only knows what happened to those poor dogs or where she is doing the same dubious act
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2007, 08:36 AM
a certain breed club had a woman approach them to help out with welfare and to help rehome dogs.the woman was rehoming them at an amazing rate until she rehomed a dog with a health problem only 4 a comitee member to notice a similar dog for sale in the free paper.on investigation this lady was getting the dogs free to rehome then selling them on in the free newspaper ,obviously taking anything for them and not caring who or where the dogs ended up .when i hear the outcome of this i will let you all know
this seems to be rife at the mo.

not just with the free ads either.
There are many wonderful rescues and kind people rescuing dogs but as with most things you get the occasional rogue. A few years ago someone not far from here was involved in a rescue fraud and jailed.

It always pays to keep your eyes open and do your homework when acquiring a dog from any source.
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-05-2007, 11:20 AM
i dont know all the details as it was given to me 2nd hand by the club but i do know the woman had been working for them a while and she was doing the home checks .so she would be telling them that a suitable home had been found and then just selling them on and i take it falsifying the relevant paperwork
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Still doesn't make sense though, if this breed rescue were doing their job properly they would be carrying out post homevisits. First post homevisit they carried out would have shown what was going on. I think they need to take a long look at their own policies.