Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Dog Shot

Nasty tale to tell.

As you may know, I am a dog walker, and I heard today that one of the dogs I take out, a yellow lab, 3 yrs old, called Holly, last night was shot by a "farmer". Apparently Holly had run down to the river bank whilst out with her owner last night, saw some ducks in the water and went splashing over towards them. Her owner ran down the banking calling her back. Holly turned to come back, and was within a few feet of her owner (she hadn't touched a duck) when this "farmer" appeared at the top of the banking, with a gun, and asked what was going on. (Let me add that this was not his land, nor were the ducks his). Holly's owner just shouted to him "It's Ok, I've got her now", reached towards Holly to grab her collar as she got out of the river, and this bl***y "farmer" shot her. Holly screamed and ran away. The owner, who wanted to punch the farmer, but was more concerned about Holly, ran after her. She was covered in blood, with 3 great holes in her neck. He took her straight to the vet, where she was X-rayed - 86 pellets in her!. She is still in the vets on a drip, and they are going to do an MRI scan on her once she has stabilized, to ensure the pellets are not near her spinal cord. The owner reported the incident to the police, who said he was within his rights if the dog was harrassing his ducks! However much the owner explained that the dog was on public land, and the ducks were wild ducks, and he was within a couple of feet of her, and she was coming back to him, and she had not touched a duck, the police did not want to know. I think this is disgusting, especially as the "farmer" in question has a small-holding with various animals kept in squalid, filthy conditions. He has two dogs, a collie and a lurcher, who are locked up in a windowless shed all day, very rarely walked, and has been reported to the RSPCA on numerous occasions.

The owner is not giving up, he is going to see a solicitor, and try to take out a private prosecution of the ba****rd, but I just can't believe that the police would take this attitude.

Please don't think I approve of dogs chasing ducks, I truly don't, but I think this was, to say the least, excessive behaviour!!:smt062
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Take it to your MP and local newpaper. If that doesn't shift the police, nothing will

I do hope Holly makes a full recovery Give our regards to Holly's owner.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:05 PM
That is bad she had her and was taking her away she was lucky none of them went in her leg as well as the dog being that close. what a horrible man if Holly was worrying his sheep or something and would leave them alone that would of been different but wild duck and not his land, what is wrong with the police they dont seem to do anything these days not quite sure why we have them anymore.
Oh no i do, to take away innocent people.

I really hope Holly is ok and they get that man
hugs to you Holly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:07 PM
OK, firstly if the dog ws on his land and was worrying "stock" he was within his rights to shoot the dog. Now bare with me here, Im not making any accusations, but are you saying:

The land did not belong to him?

He just "appeared" and at short distance shot the dog whilst in extremely close proximity to the owner?

The Ducks were not harmed and definately were NOT on his property?

He was in possession of a firearm on PUBLIC land WITHOUT permission?

If the answers to these questions are "yes" are you saying the Police are not interested in this at all?

Dawn.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:08 PM
My oh said he think he was poaching that why he was so angry.
My oh just cant believe it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:08 PM
An awful tale.A dreadful farmer who ought to be reported and prosecuted,what are the laws about shotguns on public land? Surely there must be something that can be done to stop him from doing it again.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:09 PM
What an awful thing to happen. I so hope Holly makes a full recovery and that her owner manages to get some legal support and justice against the farmer's disgusting behaviour.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Thats what it looks like Dawn why wont they do anything.
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Yes, Borderdawn, I'm saying exactly that! And I know the exact place it happened, and it's where a lot of people walk their dogs.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Take it to your MP and local newpaper. If that doesn't shift the police, nothing will

I do hope Holly makes a full recovery Give our regards to Holly's owner.
I agree, good advice, goodluck, keep us posted.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >