Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Labrador or English Setter

Thanks to all for suggestions on second dog, I didn't realise it would be this hard to decide
After a lot of discussion, or maybe i should say nagging, my OH has left the final choice to me as I do the bulk of the pet duties. I have finally decided my choice is between a Labrador or an English Setter, probably more in the Setters favour (it's really hard to decide when you come on here and see all the lovely photos )
Can anyone help with a good breeder in Scotland for either of these? Will contact the breed clubs tomorrow now that I have finally (nearly finally) made a choice.
If only I could have both!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-05-2007, 10:40 PM
A fine choice whichever you decide although it sounds as though you have made up your mind.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 06:58 AM
It's a very personal thing but I would say that it boils down to a relatively calm, steady breed with an easy-care coat, or a manic, "in your face" clown with slightly more grooming needs.
I know which one I would go for!
Good luck in your search....
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 05:22 PM
www.canonsett.co.uk

Helen
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I would choose a lab, they are a friendly, loyal, fun loving bunndle of fun.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Good luck which ever you choose, look forward to seeing the pictures
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Pam,

If you go to the English Setter Association website they have a lot of our websites as links so you should be able to find someone.

I do know Sheila very well (Canonsett), but I don't think she has any pups at the moment, I can't think of anyone up in that direction that has a litter or has mated a bitch.

If you hit a blank do come back to me as, having been in the breed for many years, as well as having been turned into a total headcase by my setters I do have quite a few contacts so may be able to help you.

Sheree x
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Pam,

Before you jump into owning a wonderful English can I highlight that they also require a great deal of exercise and indeed are the most stubborn, independant, selectively deaf of all the setters!

When I take my crew out the one I am always always waiting for is my English - he is a bird fanatic, bunny chasing (and in fact sadly recently caught one and decided to eat it for breakfast!) Whilst he is the most affectionate delightful character he really is a challenge (and my previous English girl was exactly the same!)

So you will need to find a good trainer who is up on dogs that decide they do their own thing - all Setters are very bright they only choose what they want to do and when! But I like a challenge

He is also the houdini of my bunch, can escape through the smallest holes, jump 5ft fences - so is never allowed out in the my orchard alone! as he would be off bunny hunting and bird chasing again.

I absolutely adore him totally and would recommend them wholeheartedly but having heard your concerns on owning a Gordon wanted to highlight the English are not necessarily an easier option

Sheree/ I'm sure will agree that these delightful dogs are great characters but can be a great challenge to the best of us!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put you off but want to make sure you have a good picture of these beauties.

good luck with finding a new addition to your family

Rach
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hi Pam,

Before you jump into owning a wonderful English can I highlight that they also require a great deal of exercise and indeed are the most stubborn, independant, selectively deaf of all the setters!

When I take my crew out the one I am always always waiting for is my English - he is a bird fanatic, bunny chasing (and in fact sadly recently caught one and decided to eat it for breakfast!) Whilst he is the most affectionate delightful character he really is a challenge (and my previous English girl was exactly the same!)

So you will need to find a good trainer who is up on dogs that decide they do their own thing - all Setters are very bright they only choose what they want to do and when! But I like a challenge

He is also the houdini of my bunch, can escape through the smallest holes, jump 5ft fences - so is never allowed out in the my orchard alone! as he would be off bunny hunting and bird chasing again.

I absolutely adore him totally and would recommend them wholeheartedly but having heard your concerns on owning a Gordon wanted to highlight the English are not necessarily an easier option

Sheree/ I'm sure will agree that these delightful dogs are great characters but can be a great challenge to the best of us!
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put you off but want to make sure you have a good picture of these beauties.

good luck with finding a new addition to your family

Rach

Yes, most definately, as beautiful as they are they are also terribly naughty at recall or infact, doing anything you want them to do. They need a lot of hard work, albeit gentle coaxing, they don't react well to harsh words and you will find they'll totally ignore your commands 95% of the time. However, I would never be without them and you simply couldn't want for a more gentle and loving companion.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I definately agree with both your comments Rachel / Sheree after also having setters all my life. Athough they're adorable they are also very willful when they want to be and take alot of training - if they're quite for too long they're usually up to something! I'm still having trouble letting Louie off the lead, this morning he had all the fields to himself and what did he do, lie in a large pool of stagnant water and drink it. It took me ages to try and get him out as he knew he was just out of reach from me!

Good Luck with whatever you decide though.