Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 12:22 PM

has anyone got info on bone cancer

Just wanted to gain some info on bone cancer, Royce's mum died at just over eight years old due to bone cancer, from what I can gather it was a very quick thing from start to end, I now have heard his sister is dead having died in december but dont know what happend, sadly the breeder and I dont get on so no point in calling to find out, just wanted to know a bit about it and what to look for, his sister was a champion and died at 6 years and one month old,. Its making me a bit paranoid about the big fella,
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Oh Shona sorry to hear that..
the most common form of bone cancer in dogs is osteosarcoma and there will be lots about it on the net if you do a Google search.
Here is a bit of info..

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...e%2ccancer
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=1035

http://www.dogcancer.net/osteo.html

Couple of good links for you.
Hope they help
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh Shona, what a worry for you.

Mini and Jackpat have given you some excellent links so, hopefully, you will be able to find out what you want to know.

Sheree x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2007, 01:50 PM
we lost emma mums boxer to bone cancer..her was in her shoulder so operations were out of the question.
she started going lame/limping all the usual stuff was ruled out, an x ray was taken as she wasn't improving and found out she had bone cancer.
the way it grows/devlops is fast within weeks in emmas case it basically devlops inside the bone as a mass/tumor then grows until it makes the bone brittle and breaks through.
not a pleasent condition for any dog, if it is in a joint that can be removed ie a leg then the only way is surgery, the only thing they offered emma was pain killers within the space of a few days it got worse so emmie was pts as the highest dose wasn't keeping her pain free,and surgery in her case wasn't an option.
i had her brother and he never devloped any form of cancer anywhere to our knowledge, so i think it can be genetic but affects 1 sex more than the other in some lines.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
That is very sad to hear - I understand your concerns Shona. Is there no mutual friend that could enquire about her death and pass on the info to you?

Hope your fears are resolved soon
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi thanks every one, I asked a mate to enquire at a show recently about his sisters death, but apparently know one seems to know whats happend, Im just a bit worried as royce has shown some discomfort in his front foot/ankle but Im prob being over cautious as he did do a bit too much the other night, racing with the pups without a proper warm up, silly sod, will keep you all up to date but hopefuly its nothing and will be fine in a day or two, God forbid I lose him, hes one in a million,
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Aww Shona, what a worry for you. I don't really have any experience in that field I'm afraid so can't really offer you anymore than the links you already have. I hope it's nothing to worry about and that Royce will be just fine, *Hugs*
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks megan rose, Im sure your right, im behind in everything in my life except worrying, I worry about the dogs health /fittness and stuff I tend to worry in advance with the dogs,