View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 06:43 AM

It's that time of year again (rubbish in parks)

It certainly is... I'm dreading when it gets bad enough my dogs have to be muzzled to be allowed offlead

I took Takara and Eddy up to the 'Bolehills' (a big park with a couple of large fields and a wood area) on Monday morning, as we turned the corner there was an overflowing bin...

Too late! Takara had seen it! Someone had put a bin bag into (or onto) the bin full of picnic stuff. Great! I hate it when they don't pick up after themselves, but it wasn't tied and had been too big for the bin so just sat on top.

Suddenly there were banana skins and sandwich packets all over the field

I went round and picked them up having secured Takara to a lead, put them back in the bag and went (didn't think to tie it up because I was so flustered)

Then yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) I took her over there and just didn't think about the bin. There are park wardens paid to do the job of emptying the bins every day (particularly in the summer when they fill up quicker) but nobody had been round and once more I found myself picking up banana skins and sandwich packets (I could throttle that dog sometimes).

I tied the bag up and went on my way but I can see this is just the start...

How come so many people have dogs that just don't bother with stuff like that (and, having asked them, I know they don't train them) and yet mine, who I put so much time and effort into, are just desperate to turn me grey?!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Luckily the park I go to isn't bad for rubbish on the floor......
Whats annoying is people using the poo bins to put their 'normal' rubbish in!
I don't see why they can't take it home.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
How come so many people have dogs that just don't bother with stuff like that (and, having asked them, I know they don't train them) and yet mine, who I put so much time and effort into, are just desperate to turn me grey?!
That's exactly how I feel about Pepper!

There are a couple of people who use our local park who deliberately leave food, usually bread, but sometimes leftover curry and rice. For the birds, I suppose. And always in the same places so if my small gannet gets off lead she shoots across to those places to check them out and scarf down what she can. Not just in summer either.

J
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 09:56 AM
I get really angry about empty bottles left in the park. They are usually smashed with broken jagged edges just waiting to sink into a little paw or a child's wee foot for that matter. Why can't people dispose of bottles safely in the bins provided? And why do they have to break the bottles, causing danger to others?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by maebme View Post
I get really angry about empty bottles left in the park. They are usually smashed with broken jagged edges just waiting to sink into a little paw or a child's wee foot for that matter. Why can't people dispose of bottles safely in the bins provided? And why do they have to break the bottles, causing danger to others?
Yes, that annoys me too.
I found some glass last week, right on a 'path' through the field. I picked it up and wrapped it in a [clean] poo bag, and carried it in my pocket until I found a bin.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 11:29 AM
The glass is always an issue too, especially as we have a pub in our local park... (great for sitting outside with the dogs, not so great for rubbish)

Mother*Ship, are you sure you don't live here? We get exactly the same with people leaving curry for the birds (how many birds like curry, exactly?) instead we just get the chuffin' rats!

Last summer was dreadful when they all decided to be out, the park is right next to university campus, it's often frequented by the alcoholics that live in park bushes, and it's around the corner from at least 5 take aways

We have no chance really do we?
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2007, 06:43 PM
And then they say that it is dogs who mess the Parks up!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 06:55 PM
My worst problem is at the beach, on the grass behind, all the kids congregate and have bbqs. There are often spare rib bones and chicken bones just left lying around grrrr
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I know how you feel Lottie, the parks I go to are always overflowing with litter in summer, worst thing is most of the time they cannot be bothered to put the rubbish in the bins at all.
Last time we went was in the evening when it was hot and parents were handing out sweets and chocolate to the kids and not even blinking an eyelid when the children were throwing the rubbish in the bushes and discarding it on the floor....

I think the worst thing is the idiots who go drinking in the parks and then believe they are ever so macho to smash the bottles afterwards... I try to avoid local parks in summer because of this.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Parks and Beaches, I have seen it all over the last couple of weeks - litter scattered everywhere which unfortunately tempts our dogs to investigate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >