Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Dogs With Breed Faults

How do you feel about people breeding from dogs with highly undersirable breed faults?
Do you wholeheartedly agree that breeding from undersireables is the way forward?
Or do you think that such dogs should be neutered and/or speyed and not be bred from.

I ask as I know someone whom is about to breed a dog with blue eyes, yet it is not part of that breeds standard. Is it wrong? Unethical?
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
How do you feel about people breeding from dogs with highly undersirable breed faults?
Do you wholeheartedly agree that breeding from undersireables is the way forward?
Or do you think that such dogs should be neutered and/or speyed and not be bred from.

I ask as I know someone whom is about to breed a dog with blue eyes, yet it is not part of that breeds standard. Is it wrong? Unethical?
In answer to the first question I would not be happy.
As regards 2 def not the way forward.
3. Def not bred from. There are plenty of dogs/bitches around who don't have undesireable faults so I cannot see the logic behind using one with such faults. It would in my opinion not be doing the breed any favours by using an undesireable animal. Yes I think in this situation it would be better to spey and/or neuter.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 10:51 AM
My opinion is simple, there is a recognised breed standard, this should be stuck to, whats the point in having a breed standard if your not going to breed to it
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Ah you see I'm not entirely in agreement with that statement as I want to breed 'wrong coloured' poodles. Personally any fault that may affect the health and welfare of the dog and subsequent puppies I would say definately not but a coat of a different colour that has no impact on the actual health of the dog then I would have no issues with as long as it was a naturally occuring colour of course and not one introduced by crossing with another breed.
With regards to blue eyes, I know some breeds have blue eyes but not the associated deafness that can come with it but any breed that is predominately white with blue eyes then I;d say no as there is an increased chance of producing a puppy with a 'disability' and I don't think you should do any mating where there is a definate chance of producing pups with defects (such as merle to merle matings etc)
Becky
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Depends if the breed faults effect their health, as for most issues regarding colour etc then I do not see the problem.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I guess it depends on the fault as all dogs have "faults".
We must all do it if we breed, it depends what the effect is on the dog.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Ah you see I'm not entirely in agreement with that statement as I want to breed 'wrong coloured' poodles. Personally any fault that may affect the health and welfare of the dog and subsequent puppies I would say definately not but a coat of a different colour that has no impact on the actual health of the dog then I would have no issues with as long as it was a naturally occuring colour of course and not one introduced by crossing with another breed.
With regards to blue eyes, I know some breeds have blue eyes but not the associated deafness that can come with it but any breed that is predominately white with blue eyes then I;d say no as there is an increased chance of producing a puppy with a 'disability' and I don't think you should do any mating where there is a definate chance of producing pups with defects (such as merle to merle matings etc)
Becky
Couldn't agree more - it's knowing which part of the breed standard maintains health and which is aesthetic.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:37 PM
it would depend on the fault ...say a black and tan cavalier with a white mark thats a fault but can be bred out in future generations .............a health fault is very different and i wouldn't bred from such a dog
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 07:41 PM
I completely disagree with breeding from animals with ANY genetic or otherwise faults. Colour comes into that with me too, breeding colours which are not in the breed standard on purpose is something I strongly disagree with, the same as anything else. If you want to breed pedigree dogs, stick to the standard laid down and do it correctly, or dont breed at all. No personal feelings here becky, just my opinion.
Dawn.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I completely disagree with breeding from animals with ANY genetic or otherwise faults. Colour comes into that with me too, breeding colours which are not in the breed standard on purpose is something I strongly disagree with, the same as anything else. If you want to breed pedigree dogs, stick to the standard laid down and do it correctly, or dont breed at all. No personal feelings here becky, just my opinion.
Dawn.
So when did we decide to 'underline' what we have now and say "that's it, no more changes"

All the dogs we have now have evolved slowly through selective breeding.

Aren't pedigree standards a result of change and if so why should we just stop ?

If people believe in changes that could be for the better but accept they are going to be outwith the 'current' satandard, why not let them move on with their dogs as millions did before.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »