Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

Dog parks

i just wondering what you thought or know about them, i know they exist and are popular in America but we don't have any in the uk do we? do u think its a good idea, im guessing that its a sort of fenced off area for dogs to play about in, think its sounds quite good but i suppose could be some trouble with boisterous dogs and scuffles.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I think I would treat them the same as I do puppy parties, avoid like the plague.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:58 AM
If it was 200 acres of countryside and woodland then yes I'd have no problems with them, but small enclosed ones could well be asking for trouble. I reckon it should be 10 acres minimum size.
Becky
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 11:11 AM
In Callendar park we have a dog area, its not enclosed and a good enough size for a run around, but most folk just walk the whole park anyway, When I was a parkie my argument with the parks bosses was if they at least were to have a designated dog area it would make it easier for us the park rangers to enforce the dog pooh rules ect, but it always landed on deaf ears.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm very lucky not to need one, got lovely open countryside to walk miles in
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Lucky you Becky...we're not bad either, the woods are just across the road from us so the boys go everyday.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Lucky you Becky, we're not bad either we have the woods just across the road from us so the boys get to go everyday.
Sorry don't know how this happened
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it would be a great idea...even better to have one park for quiet sedentry dogs and people and one for playfull dogs who might get a bit more boistrous. We actually have an excersize area here especially for dogs which has been put aside for when the dogs are required to be onlead over at the heath between april and ?? as part of the countryside rules etc. Or for when they have stuck grazing animals in certain areas that people walk. And I think it's great that they did that because it's nice to have something given back in return for the restrictions

We don't use it an incredible amount as we go the extra distance and get lost in the forest which doesn't have the on lead thing or any grazing animals. But it is really handy to have available

I think towns and areas where it is all farm land and people can't usually let their dogs run free would really benifit. Would be great for owners of breeds that need to be let off in enclosed areas only too.

I've always thought this should be something that is available - we have parks and all sorts set aside for all other activities but nothing especially for dogs.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I have mixed reviews of dog parks. We just got one locally and I do go there occassionally, mostly to meet my doggy friends and let our dogs play together. Ours is probably 15 acres fenced off into three sections. One for large breeds, one for small breed and one for mixing (large and small dogs).

I haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood, BUT, like taking your kid to the park, or daycare, you are subjecting them to every germ, worm, or virus out there. My dog is both fully inoculated, wormed and flea protected, and is has been reguarly exposed to other dogs and doggy germs her whole life (working in a vet clinic, dog shows, etc) so her immunity is high. HOWEVER, working in a vet clinic, the dog park is a hot bed of bacteria, and its a place where people take their very shelterd housepets to be suddenly exposed to so many bacterias and viruses that their immune systems have never encountered before (because it is very common here in the U.S. for a dog to NEVER leave its house or yard except to go to the vet once a year, sad as that is) Those dogs almost always get sick.

Also, my dog is very well balanced, properly excercised and trained and I can trust her to play offlead with a variety of dogs without incident. Again, enter the dog that has lived in a back yard for six years that is all of a sudden being exposed to freedom and a dozen strange dogs all at once and its a recipe for disaster.

I think the concept of a dog park is a good one. leash laws here prohibit dogs from getting off lead run time, and it is good socialization. But, the manner in which many people keep their dogs in the u.s. means that in fact, you are taking a huge risk anytime you go to a dog park, because you never know what moron has brought out and unleashed his neurotic, dog agressive, unsocialized, unvaccinated dog on the public.

So thats me, I'm on the fence. I go, but only with other people I know, at off peak times, and I am vigilant as a hawk.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
I think I would treat them the same as I do puppy parties, avoid like the plague.
Completely and utterly agree. They sound blooming AWFUL!!