Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Smoking And Dogs - your views.

Following a recent closed thread, thought it best we start one in the discussions section.

So, what are your views about people smoking with pets around?

Please remember not to make personal remarks, put your views across in a more general manner. And if you are trying to get people to see your way of thinking, do so nicely! For the millionth time, people are far more attuned to what you have to say if they're not made to feel all defensive or attacked.
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
If you don't agree with forcing beagles to smoke in a laboratory.....then don't do it in a place where your animals are because it is just the same. People are far more aware on the dangers of passive smoking so everyone by now should know better.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 04:19 PM
no i didn't like the picture of the dogs forced to smoke in the lab i think all dog owners were horrified to see that ....i do smoke but am abandoned ( through choice ) to my lovely garden smokers shed .............i have never smoked indoors so my girls are not living with me smoking not my kids or husband ( who is a reformed smoker )

smoking in a closed room or car would be cruel i agree ..most smokers i know have well ventiltated house's or smoke outside ...no one i know puts a mask on their dog like in the lab so feel that was one extreme

passive smoking is harmful to everyone thats been proven i just feel that personally unless someone chooses to be in MY shed with me i only harm myself when i CHOOSE to light up

PS i gave up smoking 12 years ago for 2 years and i really do underdtand how non smokers feel thats why i own a shed
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Smoking... along with many other things is not good for you.. no argument there... But if people chose to smoke... and are considerate to their pets and to others around them.. then I see no reason why they cannot and should not have the choice to do so... And if, as a smoker, I am expected to be considerate toward non smokers... then I expect the same consideration to be given back... There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have smoking permitted places as well as non smoking.... then we all have choice.

As has been pointed out by others.. the life expactancy of a dog is probably shorter than the time it would take for passive smoking to have an effect, so provided your not smoking in a tiny unventelated room/car etc then it shouldn't pose a problem...

As for the lab test thing... Do all tobacco companies use this?? Is this practice still going on? I have no idea... but I do know.. that there have been many other cruel things like that which have been done to dogs and to other animals... Dog foods and products etc and all sorts of stuff have been tested on animals.... Does that mean we should all stop feeding our dogs "just in case" ... no it doesn't... ofcourse we are choosy who we buy stuff from.. and if we know a company that uses such methods we avoid it... We put pressure on the companies to change.... but our dogs still have to eat.... and other products that are or have been tested on animals may still also be neccissary... so again we try to avoid or boycot those particular companies, force them to change...
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree that you should have a place to smoke, even out in the street it stinks and I hate shopping in town because of the awful smell, especially when you all stand outside a shopping centre and we have to run the gauntlet to get in or out. I don't care if you smoke it's your funeral but I do think you should ( and I know most people do) consider your pets.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I am a non-smoker now but used to smoke - stopped 17 years ago - so I think I understand both sides. However, I agree with Ian and Inca on this one. Smokers need consideration too. We have a national smoking ban in Scotland for the last year and I think it is sad to see the smokers outside. If a smoke free zone is created for non-smokers and animals then there should be consideration also for those who do smoke.
But I do think it is wrong to subject animals to a smoky environment.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
I agree that you should have a place to smoke, even out in the street it stinks and I hate shopping in town because of the awful smell, especially when you all stand outside a shopping centre and we have to run the gauntlet to get in or out. I don't care if you smoke it's your funeral but I do think you should ( and I know most people do) consider your pets.
Good post... considerate...

I think most smokers would be quite happy not to smoke on the streets.. it's not the most enjoyable fag of the day, but we were put there

As for considering my pets (and I appreciate you said most do) I think if you look around the forums pictures and blogs etc you'll see that my dogs are very much considered and well looked after.... despite being a smoker I reckon my dogs get more fresh air in a week than many get in a year But I can't speak for others so thats something for each individual to be taken to task over I guess.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Smoking... along with many other things is not good for you.. no argument there... But if people chose to smoke... and are considerate to their pets and to others around them.. then I see no reason why they cannot and should not have the choice to do so... And if, as a smoker, I am expected to be considerate toward non smokers... then I expect the same consideration to be given back... There is absolutely no reason why we cannot have smoking permitted places as well as non smoking.... then we all have choice.
Funny as it sounds I agree, I am anti smoking but at the end of the day if someone wants to harm their health thats their lookout. I also think a lot of places should have smoking sections as a lot of places are big enough.

Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
As has been pointed out by others.. the life expactancy of a dog is probably shorter than the time it would take for passive smoking to have an effect, so provided your not smoking in a tiny unventelated room/car etc then it shouldn't pose a problem...
I do take that point but they also age at a faster rate, so who is to say that the effects of passive smoking will not also be at an accelerated rate. While smoking around a dog may not be perfect or ideal there is a lot of other factors imo, your for example, they maybe around a smoker but they also get some of the freshest air out their so that porbably offsets the risk. My mum smokes but not around the dogs, that is her choice just like yours is to smoke round the dogs, and thats it choice.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Dogs (and other animals) will still be forced to smoke in laboratories around the world no matter how 'considerate' you try to be and will be killed. This is so that you 'the smoker' can smoke and have any diseases caused by smoking treated.
If you find that acceptable then so be it. I don't. I also don't believe people to be true animal lovers if they knowingly partake of a habit, that has no benefits, which results in the deliberate mistreatment of an animal, especially dogs.
My conscience is clear.
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Dogs (and other animals) will still be forced to smoke in laboratories around the world no matter how 'considerate' you try to be and will be killed. This is so that you 'the smoker' can smoke and have any diseases caused by smoking treated.
If you find that acceptable then so be it. I don't. I also don't believe people to be true animal lovers if they knowingly partake of a habit, that has no benefits, which results in the deliberate mistreatment of an animal, especially dogs.
My conscience is clear.
Becky
I understand what you're saying, but would it not be more constuctive to try and stop the tabbaco companys using this type of testing rather than going after the huge numbers that smoke?

I will say again, I dont smoke and think its is a horrible habbit, but i can see both sides of the argument.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »