Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Titre Tests with Results, Now What ?

Well I had both boys results back yesterday (after chasing my vet for blooming ages )

Anyway result is

Jack
Down on Adno-something - But he's a border line case
Distemper needs a booster
Parvovirus - Fine

Casper
Adno-Something - Needs a Booster
Distemper - Fine
Parvovirus - Fine

They will both need Lepto vaccinations when I get them done(I didnt have that tested), now I had these tests done as I was curious as to how it shows the levels etc Now with my limited knowledge of this (the vet is new to this as well, you wouldnt believe the discussions I had to just to have the bloomin test done ) it shows that they just need a booster for those that they are low on. But my vet rang me to say she could just give them the three in one to bring them up again, isnt that a bit pointless having the three in one when both are fine for Parvovirus ?! Or she could order the individual vaccinations and just booster that way, I've asked she do this as I dont see the point vaccinating the three in one when they have immunity in there system already ?

Is my thinking on this right or am I going nuts ? For those that Titre Test or even Christine I know your knowledgable on this, how does it work ?

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Is the 3 in 1 not just the lepto, PI and another thing I cant remember the name of I know the mini booster my two get does not contain any vaccine for parvo and distemper.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 02:41 PM
The whole point of the tests is, surely, so you only booster them for the ones they are low on?
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 02:52 PM
This is the problem with titre testing, I guarantee you if you retested the results would be different. the "low" issues are because the dogs "memory cells" are not fighting this disease, the dog has not come in contact with it, so circulating antibodies (what titre tests count) are dormant as no disease response is needed. I did all this with mine, the Uni told me its a waste of money, unless they can find a way to measure memory cells the tests will NOT be an acurate measure of a dogs immunity.

Also, a seperate Parvo and Distemper vacc will be difficult as most are DHL combined. leptospirosis does not illicit titres, thats why they dont test for it.
dawn.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
This is the problem with titre testing, I guarantee you if you retested the results would be different. the "low" issues are because the dogs "memory cells" are not fighting this disease, the dog has not come in contact with it, so circulating antibodies (what titre tests count) are dormant as no disease response is needed. I did all this with mine, the Uni told me its a waste of money, unless they can find a way to measure memory cells the tests will NOT be an acurate measure of a dogs immunity.
dawn.
Oh

So what's the point of doing the Titre tests then ?
And why do the do the same test for Rabies test for the petpassport ?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Oh

So what's the point of doing the Titre tests then ?
And why do the do the same test for Rabies test for the petpassport ?
Yes, what is the point?
Rabies is different as, hopefully, there is not other way the dog will have had any rabies challenge other than from the vaccination in the UK. I think :smt001
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
But if the blood test arent showing the level of immunity then really they arent worth the bit of paper they are written on, so for the rabies test it wont show just how much immunity the dog has, and dogs in the US can happily travel here and back under the passport.

I had it explained to be about the passport that after the jab, they get blood tested to check the levels of immunity in the system. So I just assumed a titre test was an exact replica of that...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
I think with rabies, they vaccinate then test, its different, the antibodies will be circulating as the vaccine is administered, they inject the disease so the body responds, thats how I see it anyhow. All I can tell you is what I was told and what I said on the other thread, titre testing is NOT an efficient way to test a dogs immunity, the University said as much.

people do it, i expect because they think its the right thing to do (as I did) but I can tell you my bitch was LOW parvo and Borderline Distemper, when I asked them to explain the results to me they said the dog did NOT necessarilly need a booster, titre testing measures circulating antibodies, these are present ONLY when the dog has recently been exposed to a disease its been vaccinated against, so the count will be high. The things that trigger an immune response are called "memory cells" these cannot be measured, these are what needs to be meaured if you are to gain an acurate gauge of a dogs immunity. Retested 6 weeks later my bitch had "sufficient" Parvo antibodies and high levels of Distemper antibodies.

Christine is the whizz on this but I havent seen her around for a while.
Dawn.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
It is possible to get the components separately, because I have done it
I use nosodes in place of 'chemical' vaccs, and was exporting to a friend in the USA who minimally vaccinates and only in line with legal requirements in her State.

We found out which she needed and had used individual vaccs accordingly.

hth
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Well as a result of some other drama on Thursday, and more queries about vaccinations, they have gone back to the system of vaccinating every year for everything even when other brands of vaccines are only needed every three or 4 years. When I queried this I was told 'Oh that's a load of nonsense and they need a vaccination for everything every year of their lives'.

Rang another local vet with a good reputation and queried this and their practise and was told they vaccinate something (cant remember the name) yearly but everything else they do every three years. Lady was very helpful.

Tuesday comes round my vets are being told to shove it, and not being touched again by them, and moving their records during the week. Other things have happened this week which has been ridiculous so I'll be glad to see the back of them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >