Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Hamster help....

My (soon to be 7) year old son has been after a hamster for ages... like 2 dogs, a pup and a goldfish aren't enough!
Anyway, we've said (my OH isn't a rodent fan) that if he gets birthday money (which he will) he can buy one with the cage etc and that it's food etc will come out of his pocket money. He agreed. He will also clean it out...with help obviously (form muggins here).
Anyway...I've read up a bit and we will get a male Syrian hamster (like my Fred was when I was my son's age!)

Question is....where do I buy one from a breeder or pet owner rather than a pet shop?? Or even better....a rescue hamster??? Anyone know??? Son' s birthday is on the 14th and having his mothers patient streak he wants to go get it the day after...once he's counted his cash!!!!!! :smt002

Also ....where is it best to get a cage from and what is the best type...he has his eye on a creepy castle plastic one that looks HUGE......
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Don't know where you are in the country.
Type in "hamster rescue" in google and it bought up loads of hamster rescues around the country.
Also, personally, I got a three tier metal cage and put tunnels, interesting things inside for my hamsters to explore. I'm not mad on the plastic ones. As my hamsters loved climbing up the sides. JMO.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
We bought a 3 tier metal one, with a plastic bottom then bought different toys etc to put in it. This has kept Gem amused for a good few years as they can be changed regularly. we got ours from PAH including the hamster .I know the RSPCA centres often have small animals as rescues....Our local pet shop also has info about litters etc.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Megan. I'm not sure about cages, it's just m'laddo has spotted some ones that he likes....
What sort of hamsters do you have?
Do you think it will be alright in his bedroom, under his bed (he has a high one)???
Ta!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Fudgeley...
As I say I'm flexible on the cage...sounding like a metal one may be better..there ar eones in good colours aren't there so I'm sure I can persuade him.
Where do you keep yours???
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Ramble - it's been a long time since I had hamsters but I'll try and offer help if I can!

Is you son's bed like a raised cabin bed? Just make sure that his duvet does not poke down near the hamster's cage or they may chew holes in it!

I agree with Megan and Fudgely - metal cages mean they can climb about lots more and there are loads of cool toys you can get!

Our local RSPCA has small animals but as they don't live very long try and go for as young a one as possible and make sure it has been handled lots.

Sorry I may be incorrect here (), but can Syrian hamsters be a little bit aggressive or does it just depend on how much they have been handled?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Syrian Hamsters are generally better for kids, as they are bigger and generally more tolerant than the others - as long as it is handled!
And remember - hamsters are nocturnal! Bedroom may not be the best place!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Syrian Hamsters are generally better for kids, as they are bigger and generally more tolerant than the others - as long as it is handled!
Ahh - thanks for that - I could be getting them confused with Russian hamsters!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Both my daughters have syrian hamsters which they got from pets at home.

One has a large metal cage, and the other has one of those rotostack things. To be honest, the metal one is probably better as hammies do love a good chew on the bars

They're gorgeous little things, providing they're handled regularly, otherwise, you end up with one fiesty hamster
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I always had syrian hamsters. They do need to have been handled as much as possible though do calm down if they haven't and you are brave!
I also always had rotastak cages for them. I prefererred it to the all wire ones as it kept the sawdust in a bit better, hwever do need careful cleaning so you don't scratch the plastic.
If you do get a fancy cage, or a wire one for that matter I wouldn't worry about too many fancy toys. Toilet rolls and apple twigs, etc are far better.

I also agree that the bedroom is ok as long as he's a heavy sleeper. My son had his hamsters in his room when he was 2years +, but when he got to 6ish he got woken up by them so they need a room where they won't keep everyone awake as the chew and chew and chew!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >