Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:59 PM

Indy did so well yesterday!

We had such a great day yesterday, Indy really made me proud!

Our first run didn't go so well. It was the open jump, and I had the whole course worked out and planned in my head, but Indy was got clingy after the first jump. She stuck to me like glue and ran past the second jump, but then jumped it from the wrong side, which meant we got disqualified... she ran on a bit, so I let her take a jump, the weaves and a couple of jumps out, just to get her going. Everybody said I hadn't done anything wrong (where I stood or positioned myself) it was just her nerves that got the better of her. They also said I did the right thing just letting her continue on for a bit to get her "started" :smt001

Our second run was the open agility, that course was so much harder than anything we have ever tried! Indy was so focused and did everything perfectly, no problems with weaves or turns or anything but then half way I forgot where I was going I paused for a second, and Indy took a jump when we should have gone to the dog walk. Disqualified again! but I called her back and just carried on and she finished perfectly! If I had had my head screwed on correctly we would have had our first ever "real" clear round. An older guy from our club was shouting "you fool" as I came back but nothing could wipe the smile off my face, the pride of her working so well completely wiped out the disappointment with my own mistake.

Third run was the agility 1 (easiest class). The course was good and pretty straight forward, and by now Martin had arrived to see us and so had my boss! This gave me slight nerves lol... something I don't suffer from at all normally, but they did go away as soon as it became our turn and I went into my usual "just me and my dog" mode. The rest of the world isn't there when we work in the ring, it is just me and her.
Everything was going great, She was perfect on the weaves, not fast, but no mistakes
Then at the tunnel she had a refusal probably because I was a bit vague in my signalling, and we had to have a second go at it, and then finished off in good speed!

Last run was jump class 1, she did her little trick with the tunnel again lol, but the rest was perfect, and the last line of jumps she went flying over them, even though they were all at an angle and had to be jumped very "sideways". She finished of really strong and did not look tired at all, I think that is the biggest difference from the first couple of fun events and to this one, that she kept up mentally, and was more ready for the job now that she knows a bit more about what is expected of her.

On the whole she was just so cool, did weaving both left and right handled and didn't miss a single contact on any course. I was dead proud of her, and the others from our club also thought we had done well. Martin was really proud of us too :smt001 I can't wait for next time now!

Indy can get a bit stressy from much excitement, but having her crate made all the difference, and she was really good at going in it to relax between runs. I made sure to take her for a warm up walk before each run, and also a cool down walk after, and she was wearing a coat and sleeping on a woolly rug, so as not to get cold muscles.
She was tugged up in a warm blanket and had a long nap when we came home last night, followed by a nice dinner of porridge and dog food, and a good long lie in this morning.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Yay go Indy

It sounds as if the day was brilliant.

She's a clever girl

Wys
x
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Fantastic sounds like you both really enjoyed it even if you had a hic cup!
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Well done Indy
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Woohoo! Well done to you both - onwards and upwards from here on in!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 04:44 PM
What a brilliant day you had, both of you! You must be really proud of Indy - gives you a nice feeling when you've done so well and enjoyed it doesn't it!