Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Henrietta
New Member!
Female 

17-03-2007, 03:36 PM

New Dog

I currently in search of a new addition to my household at the moment but I'm after the dog in the summertime.
I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice.

I currently work Part Time, 4 days a week, from 8.30 till 3.00pm which I know is a long time but I will come home for a hour at 12.00pm ish. I have a medium size house with a medium sized garden. Aswell as a cat & rodents. I have fallen in the love with the Miniature Schnauzers but have found the breeders are charging £800 which I find is alot. I alos love the Cocker Spaniels & Cavalier Spaniel but I'm wondering if they crave human company more than other breeds?
If these arn't suitable can anyone suggest a diffrent breed I could consider please?

Thank You,
Henrietta.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Rather than get a pup, why don't you rescue a dog that's in need of a home through no fault of it's own? You may be lucky enough to find one that is used to spending time on it's own and it could be a perfect solution for you both.

I definitely would not recommend a pup.

I work full time, and my three dogs are on their own all day, but I got them used to it gradually over quite a long period of time. It can work well, if you're patient.

Good luck in your search.

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I would not recommend a pup whilst you work such long hours. A puppy of ANY breed can't really be left alone for longer that an hour or so maximum. Really they need someone there all the time. It's like leaving a toddler at home all day, you just wouldn't.

Why not look into an older dog rather than a puppy?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:11 PM
I can only agree with the others I work form home and when I didnt mum dog sat for me. Theres loads of older dogs just longing for a good home, that might be the best solution.
With regards to the price of the pup most pedigrees seem to be going for the £700-800 price now. I know my welshies are £700.
whatever you decide good luck .