Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 10:16 AM

am i just being daft

hi guys,a little comfort needed
as you all no im getting anew pup 2moro,its been hard to decide wether we should get another dog after loseing our xena but we finally 'thought' we were ready
the prob is the closer to the date of picking up the pup as got the more ive been thinking about my xena
i cant stop crying everytime i think about her and i get all upset every time i think about the pup
i feel guilty that we are getting another pup,im not trying to replace her but thats how it feels,or atleast thats wot i think xena would think
i no it daft,im supposed to be happy at the idea of getting a pup,but i just cant stop thinking about my little girl
im just to soft
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Its very, very hard loosing a loved pet and I really feel for you.

I'm afraid only you can know when you are ready to get another pup, but whenever that is, I don't think your Xena or anyone else would begrudge you this and you should not feel guilty.

Perhaps you could go & visit the pup again before getting it - this may help you decide whether you really are ready or not.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Been there too! I was devastated after loosing my boy Xmas 2005 ( my 1st dog )

I decided to go ahead and get another dog (same breed) a few months later, and then a few months after that - another!!!

Of course you never ever forget your love departed pets, and at times you think, I never did this or that with them, but you find yourself doing thinks differently with your new pet.

The pain never goes away after loosing them, but with the introduction of a new pet it eases, and you start to remember them with a smile rather than a tear.

You love them differently, after all they are a different dog,
but bring just as much happiness. Enjoy your new pup, and I am looking forward to seeing all the pics xxxx
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi!

When our stafford pup died we got our Bessie after 3 days, so it was hard, but Bessie was in need of a home (her mother was rescued by a couple of mates of ours and she had a litter) so we decided to give another dog a loving home, even thou we had just had to have our beautiful stb pup of 9 months pts! When we went to pick her up i was still crying about Missie, it took me a few days to get used to Bessie as she was so different to Missie, but i can honestly say Bessie is my life, soul and heart and she is the most special dog i have ever owned! She is at some points in my life the only reason i have got up!
We all have a special place in our heart for each dogs we have owned! Your heart is big enough to included your new pup!
Im sorry for you loss, as i know how hard it is!
When you have a naughty little pup you will just love her!

Good luck
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:04 AM
From the sounds of it you don't have doubts about getting the pup but just the guilt of seemingly 'replacing' Xena which I think is a very natural feeling. We all feel like that but if you truely have doubts bout whether you re ready then for me it would be best to say no now rather than regret it if you really feel you wouldn't cope.
However, from what you say I don't think that is the real problem.
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Since having Ollie I have thought more about Max than any other time,Ollie isn't Max and sometimes I have to remind myself of that,but I must say like TB,I think of Max with more smiles now and less sadness.Nearly 5 years on.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:11 AM
ur rite mahooli,i dont have doubts about geting the pup,im quite looking 4ward to it
but thats over shadowed by this feeling of guilt
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
From the sounds of it you don't have doubts about getting the pup but just the guilt of seemingly 'replacing' Xena which I think is a very natural feeling. We all feel like that but if you truely have doubts bout whether you re ready then for me it would be best to say no now rather than regret it if you really feel you wouldn't cope.
However, from what you say I don't think that is the real problem.
Becky
I agree with Becky.

When I lost my GSD, Sharna, and went to collect Flame as a pup, I felt incredibly guilty and kept thinking I might have done the wrong thing and got a pup too soon ... it turned out to the very best thing to do.

What you are feeling is quite normal. Big hug.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi what you are feeling are normal emotions but xena will always be xena and you'll never replace her. each dog has there own personality and character.

I too felt like this when we lost Honey at the end of Nov 06 and we got Max just 3 weeks later. I've found he's filled the massive hole she left in our family unit he was a bundle of fluff and into everything but i wouldn't be without him he needed a home he was the last of the litter and GR's are hard to come by in this part of spain so i believe we were ment to have him, (i only mentioned it in passing to a mum at school about maybe having another GR some time and later she rang to say someone had told her about Max... quite spooky) (sorry im waffling)

I think when you go to collect the new pup you will have no doubts or guilt just think of the wonderful life you can give him/her..

mel
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:38 AM
thanx evryone 4 your kind words
my OH came home with a lovely rose bush plant just a min ago,its for xena he said
hes so sweet,always knows how to make me feel better
we are going to plant it in memory of her as its her 2nd birthday soon
xena will always be apart of my life,even though shes no longer with us
i will never 4get her,she was my baby and i love her to bits

we will never 4get you xena
sleep sound my baby girl
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >