View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ajolie
Dogsey Junior

20-01-2005, 03:17 PM

timber wolf as a pet????what!

my mate has just texted me to say her blokes mate has just brought a timber wolf pup for £2k they live in the south of england. I said have the got a licence for it as i know u need one she said yes. When someone applies for the licence od they have someone insepect them and check out there living accom etc?

next i said where did he get this "timber wolf" from she said a top breeder but he didnt say who?
so does anyone have a view on this. i own huskies and they def need alot of research and i used to look after timber wolfs at a safari park i just cant see theyre is actuall a breeder in the uk who is breeding them for domestic pets.

and if he has got one for the novalty of sayin i have a wolf i just wanna punch him. i keep thinking maybe it is one of these that claims it has wolf in the lines like0.001% though. and if he hasnt done any research then what is he gonna do with it when he cant cope of when it wrecks the place.

your views are most welcome

ps she has now just texted me sayin he actually got it from canada and had it imported here and it had to go into quarenteen what can people actually do this. what is going on?

anyone from canada views can u do this do people do this
thanx 4 any replies
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 03:45 PM
FFS!!!!! Why do people have to have an animal that is a fashion accessory? As far as I know, I don't think that wolves can be imported over here, but again, DEFRA should be able to clarify that.

As far as I'm aware, Wolves come under the dangerous wildlife act. The local council have to inspect thier property annually. There's a lot of rules and regulations that are in force with keeping wolves and wolf hybrids. The best place to look would be DEFRA.

Owning a wolf/wolf hybrid is NOT an easy task. more often than not, they end up been given up by the age of 2. Thier prey drive is incredibly high, so shouldn't be let off lead, and (as far as I know) do not make very good house dogs.

I personally wouldn't recommend a wolf/wolf hybrid to anyone. If your friend wanted a dog that had the look of the wolf, then why didn't she buy a Utonagan?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2005, 03:46 PM
ajolie If it is correct I think it would be very very sad. I used to go and watch the pack of Wolves at the WMSP near Bewdley and always came away in tears, watching them pace up and down their enclosure was a very sad sight for me, I get clostraphobia myself and heaven knows what it feels like to be confined when you are a creature used to roaming hundreds of miles. They are magnificent creatures but pack animals used to freedom and one alone would I feel not have a fulfilling life living separate from a pack They would be almost impossible to train too, dogs can be dififcult enough and they have hundreds of years of domestication by man behind them. To my mind you would be condeming a lovely animal to a life of misery
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I totally agree Mini. Watching a creature as beautiful and as free spirited as a wolf, being kept in captivity, is heartbreaking.

I just hope to god that this person knows what they are doing. Ajolie, you wouldn't be the only one that would give him a slap
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Sounds very fishy to me
he would have to prove he can look after it and have a propper enclosure to get a licence
a wolf is a wild animal and cant be treated like a dog
I'm sure if it has been imported he would also need to fill in alot of forms to be able to do this
If it is a real wolf I would be very worried as to what will happen to it

I have a dog that has been bred to look wolfish as I love wolves but would never want to keep one like a pet because they are wild animals and should be alowed to stay that way

find out what you can and let us know what you find as this sounds very worrying
ajolie
Dogsey Junior

20-01-2005, 03:51 PM
they said he is keepin it in the house as a pet it just makes me so so angry i wanna just punch him clearly it is as a fashion ex
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 03:54 PM
You live in the next County to me ajolie, I'm on my way

Try the DEFRA site, it's got everything you need to know on there. As for keeping it in the house, well, I'd love to hear updates on that!!!!!!!!
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 03:58 PM
They cant just keep a wolf in the house as a pet!!!!
have they got any children or pets as they would be in danger if they did
also I think you would need to apply for a licence to be able to take it out as it is classed as a dangerous wild animal and cant just be taken to the park for a walk!!!!
ajolie If I was you I would contact their local council and see if they know anything about it and let them know your concerns
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Thing is PJD, people just don't listen. They are meant to be kept in a secure kennel with enclosure, but that doesn't stop some people thinking that they can keep them like domestic dogs.

All I can say about your friend ajolie, is he's a f***ing halfwit
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree Wolfie too many people who can make a difference just dont
its just sick this guy even considering getting a wolf as a pet !
the poor thing will end up being neglected then possibly PTS because its too much to handle for this idiot
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >