Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 12:32 AM

Preventing ear infections?

Can anyone help me? Rupert suffers with his ears really often. I clean them once a week as the vet has recommended and there was no wax build up or dirt when we saw the vet today. Yet he is still getting ear infections We go to the vet with the ear infection, get meds, go back to the vet, he confirms the infections cleared up and sends us home. We're back about 8 weeks later with another infection.

Is there anything at all I can do to help stop them hitting as frequently? He's fed on Burns by the way. The infections were even more frequent before I switched to that.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Try Thornit, a small pinch in the ears each week should help.
Becky
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2007, 01:51 PM
You could try Johnson's Ear Cleanser. I use this with Poppy but she still managed to get a yeast infection in her ear, which I'm putting down to the amount of toast crusts she's had recently.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Try Thornit, a small pinch in the ears each week should help.
Becky
yep i agree with that
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Without a doubt Thornit, its powder that you dont put in the ear canal you rub it around the entrance use it for seven days then leave it for ten days then use is again, it is very good
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
You could try Johnson's Ear Cleanser. I use this with Poppy but she still managed to get a yeast infection in her ear, which I'm putting down to the amount of toast crusts she's had recently.
Yeast infection could be from using antibiotics, doubt if its the toast.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Hi Sarah a dogs ears are highly sensitive and I don't think they should be messed around with. Ruperts problem could be atopic/allergy related . Which Burns food do you feed? Maybe switch to one with different ingredients.

Yeast infections are normally secondary infections and not the cause of the ear problem. It may be worth asking your vet to take a swab to make sure there isn't a more serious infection going on that is not being cleared up but suppressed by the antibiotics.

I think it is a waste of time buying drops and potions to put in dogs ears, they do not address the specific problem and can do more harm than good. Powders in particular are not a good idea in my opinion. The inside of a dogs ear is normally slightly moist, wax is naturally produced and acts as a lubricant, powders just stick to the wax and have a clogging effect. I would not put anything in a dogs ears unless it was prescribed by a vet.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Sarah a dogs ears are highly sensitive and I don't think they should be messed around with. Ruperts problem could be atopic/allergy related . Which Burns food do you feed? Maybe switch to one with different ingredients.

Yeast infections are normally secondary infections and not the cause of the ear problem. It may be worth asking your vet to take a swab to make sure there isn't a more serious infection going on that is not being cleared up but suppressed by the antibiotics.

I think it is a waste of time buying drops and potions to put in dogs ears, they do not address the specific problem and can do more harm than good. Powders in particular are not a good idea in my opinion. The inside of a dogs ear is normally slightly moist, wax is naturally produced and acts as a lubricant, powders just stick to the wax and have a clogging effect. I would not put anything in a dogs ears unless it was prescribed by a vet.
I did explain very clearly that the powder does not go down the ear canal, I have had two years of going back and forth to the vet with my dog having ear discharge and had the discharge analysed, put all sorts of different ear drops in his ear that the vet sold me none of them worked after eight weeks it would come back, and then I used Thornit.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
When I was a groomer I used Thornit all the time. The number of times I had people come back and thank me for curing their dogs ear problemsby using it was amazing, and all these dogs had been back and forth to the vet for years.
Becky
Gill W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Am another Thornit fan here I have cockers so have to pay extra attention to their ears. I lapsed with the Thornit for a while and I had to take one of my boys to the vets a coupel of weeks ago where he was diagnosed as having a raging infection in both ears. Am so mad at myself as its the first time we have had an ear infection in any of them in almost 5 years. My old cocker used to have dreadful ear problems and needed countless drops and steroids etc. He was not the most amenable dog so it was very stressful for all parties concerned. Once I discovered Thornit, he never had any more trouble
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >