Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 07:16 PM

opinions please

our local pet shop is owned by a nice lady who i have often sought advice from and is always willing to answer my silly hhysterical questions about hiccups or max looking a 'bit sad' etc. anyway she has told the whole town about how big max is etc and has always told me he is bigger than her cane corso pup who is same age as him. today i popped in to buy something random and for the first time she had her 8 month old pup maya with her. she begged me to fetch max as she wanted to compare them. i am a fraid i looked at this rather tough looking dog though of my brown lump at home and said 'is she ok with other dogs' the lady said oh yeah she loves other dogs she is a pup. so i went off and fetched max in well as soon as the cane corso clapped eyes on max she went for him max hadnt even seen her as he was eyeing up the knuckle bones in baskets on the floor! she raised all her hackles (sp) bared her teeth and growled in a very aggressive way well he soon noticed her and his tail shot under his bum and he did everything he could to get out of the shop. i ahve never seen this reaction from him infact quite the opposite. the pet shop lady tried to give him some treats and he turned his head away from her hand and i nearly fainted this is the dog who took an ice cream of a kid in a buggy when i wasnt paying attention! he took the treats from me in the shop so it wasnt necessarily the situation he was in which was making him not take the biscuits so why wouldnt he take them from her? she said to me oh he isnt very confident and her pup apparently growled as she sensed his fear?of course i am all worried about him again now! he is fine at dog school and out on walks and approaches dogs with too much onfidence and even when bigger older male dogs tell him off he doesnt back off. also he has never disliked anyone he met before! i did find out after from another customer that the cane corso bitch pup is actually in season would this of made a difference
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Oh poor ickle Max

ell Luna was attacked by a Great Dane pup in the fall. This GD was in her first season too. And the hormones can do strange things to the dogs (both sexes)

I honestly don't think you have to woory Katy. Its actually better that he backed down, than answer back. Well that's my opinion anyway!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2005, 08:11 PM
katy a couple of observations:1)The woman should not have told you to take Max in if her bitch was in season, 2)yes the fact the bitch was in season would make her agressive toward Max particularly if she was in proestrum or anestrum (the pre and post mating periods).3) max had a nasty shock so probably not interested in the treats for that reason 4) the bitch was maybe defending her territory/family too...dogs are like us,they don't like everyone or every other dog Amy loves most people but last year there was one little chinese girl who came every day to see Amy and she just ignored the poor girl yet she made a fuss of other girls
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 08:12 PM
thanx girls i do worry as you know
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 08:26 PM
aww poor max, and stupid stupid woman, she should have known to keep other dogs away from her bitch at this time
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Poor max...
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Poor Max You should be pleased Max backed down and did not want to fight.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Poor Max,

our youngest dog Rocky is the happiest boxer ever and is very friendly but if another dog shows any aggressions he practically faints, he cannot understand aggression in any way.

Some say this is cowardly but I would rather he was a coward than react to aggression with aggression

yvonne
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Most males wil back down from a female...even my Kas who has had to defend himself a couple of times will walk away from a bitch...its just not the 'done thing'
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Quote:
"Most males wil back down from a female...even my Kas who has had to defend himself a couple of times will walk away from a bitch...its just not the 'done thing'"

It may not be the done thing but it is the safe thing would you tackle an angry female?????

I'm glad Max is okay Katy - don;t let it worry you it shows your "gut instinct" which was not to take Max was right - next time listen to it - it may tell you winning lottery numbers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >