Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 01:21 PM

Advice on those plug in air fresheners

For the past 3 nights Cassie has been waking up at around 1.00 am. not really wanting to go out, but very restless, pacing, fast heartrate and fast breathing. I couldn't make it out, and she was very reluctant to get back into her bed. When this happened yet again last night, as I bent down to reassure her in her bed, I noticed a strong smell of perfume??? It was only then I realised I had put her bed in the hall (since our room change 3 days ago)which was in front of the electrical socket which had one of those glade air fresheners in it! Of course, I sussed it all then, so I took it out, took her out, gave her a good fresh drink of water, put her back in bed and stayed with her for 15 minutes by which time her breathing was quite normal, so was her heartrate and she fell asleep!

Silly old Mummy hey?!!!!!!!! This could have caused some serious toxic damage to her if I hadn't realised it in time, so I just wanted to warn you in case your dog beds are near any sockets with these things in!!!
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for that Helena, we do have those things in our house so will double check its not too whiffy near the doglets!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for that H I don't use the plug in one's, and after reading your post, I certain;y won't be using them near the dogs beds.

I do know that these plug in air freshners can cause fires in the home
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:06 PM
I am dead against pumping chemicals into my house, in the old days we used to open a window for a bit, cheap as you like and healthy (generally!).
Nothing like that in my house - go natural, use dried lavender heads, dried hops or fresh flowers when they are not too expensive -without added clolourants!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I am dead against pumping chemicals into my house, in the old days we used to open a window for a bit, cheap as you like and healthy (generally!).
Nothing like that in my house - go natural, use dried lavender heads, dried hops or fresh flowers when they are not too expensive -without added clolourants!
Yes Deccy, but when you're desperate to sell your house, with two big smelly dogs around, you have to take desperate measures! Lol!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Aha! Understood!!!!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I do know that these plug in air freshners can cause fires in the home
They can ?!?

I havent used any for ages, (like Deccy I prefer flowers and open windows) but I do use them occassionally if I'm having people round.

No more plug in's for me then !
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm off home to unplug all my plug ins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although i only have two i think. i do however like those automatic spray thingy's. and lots of lovely scented candles. every time i open a window O/H shuts them coz he's cold!!!!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-02-2007, 05:49 PM
The 'plug in' types do have the 'potential' to cause a fire 'cos there's a very low wattage heating element inside. I've not heard of them being the source of a home fire but I'm not saying it ain't happened.

It does sound like they should put a warning on the product about dangers to animals 'tho.