Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Paper Hanging (kc reg)

Hi guys,
I don't know if any of you are familar with the term,it means basically fiddling the dogs pedigrees and kc reg documents,i.e using either a dead dogs papers or using papers from a dog that was sold without papers and these were held back to use again for purposes of registering a litter with the KC.
I thought with DNA profiling etc that the net was closing in on these sort of actitives but apparently not,so what can we do to stop it.
The kc registraton system is based mainly on trust,so how can we be sure that a certain dog has a correct parentage?
Thoughts please.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not very clued up on this. My understanding was if someone had a dog and queried the parentage then it could be checked via dna testing. I suppose only by reporting these things to the kennel club. This was going on a while back in rottis so I was told. It's not good. All things are open to abuse I suppose
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I have never heard the term in spite of having over forty years of being involved with every aspect of breeding and showing dogs
I would say it all goes back to good breeders, maybe this sort of thing happens to some breeds in the the seedy dog underworld, the one frequented by people who advertise lots of puppies for sale on the free ad sites.

If you go to a reputable kennel/breeder one with a good reputation to uphold this sort of think would never happen.

Good breeders want only the very best for their breed, the sort of activities you describe do nothing to enhance a breed, they are fraudulent anyway and therefore open to criminal investigation.

The moral here is steer clear of seedy back yard breeders .
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I also think this is why we need to be extremely careful where we buy puppies from.A recommendation i always think from a breed club.
Mini it is not just small seedy dog underworld breeders,it has happened with some big kennels.
If anything is reported to the KC they have a duty to investigate,and they i think suspend all the dogs/puppies kc reg dovcuments until anything is proven.
It is also fraud and obtaing money by deception.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately I have heard stories (and they are stories) that a few people well known in their relevant breeds have been doing it, especially if they export dogs. Again, no proof, whether this is true of nasty gossip. The problem is the KC have little control sometimes. Whether it's breeding or facey judging at shows. We all moan about it but what really can be done. If your starting out in a breed, you don't complain as your name quickly becomes mud round the ring. It's a shame as there are a lot of decent breeders who dedicate many years to helping improve their breeds. I suppose all you wrestle with at the end of the day is your own conscience, and with some they dont' have one
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Personally its vile, Im not the biggest KC fan, but to work it to your advantage and not play by the rules is out of order
So many pedigrees become messed up and not to mention the havoc is causes with health tests results and people may get a pup think that thier parents are health tested and bred that pup (when its older of course) then it become dangerous

People generally have faith in the Kennel Club and by people hanging papers it ruins that!

Anyone who does this should be pushed off a cliff....
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I think maybe in the future, tests will be done on parents of all litters registered, not in the immediate future but I can see it happening.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:37 PM
DNA paternity testing isnt yet a requirement for KC registration but I believe the KC are looking into it so maybe in the not too distant future this will happen.
Becky