Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Dog Poo Bins for home

Was sure I saw a thread on this a while back, but can't find it...

Are the dog bins you sink into your lawn any good, and do they come in "large" sizes?

I'm sure I've heard some bad reviews of them - are they worth it?

Thanks
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 10:56 AM
They work well as long as you put them in properlya nd exactly to the instructions otherwise they can clog, I don't know how big your garden is but I believe you can now get dog poo composters for your garden which I think is a better alternative.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 11:36 AM
They work okay if they're just used for one dogs poo. Any more than that and it's one per dog.
At my old house the sewer drain lid was in my back garden, so I just used to throw it down there, however I don't have it at my new house, so I just use the loos and the rest gets triple bagged and put in the bins.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi IsoChik here is the thread,

the prevailing opinion is save your money.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Shelley, make a 'compost' heap with the dog poo, and mix with lime - this helps the dog poo to break down, and use it on your flowers etc!

Thats what we do at the kennels, cos I asked how they get rid of so much poo!

I throw mine out with the rubbish - I use empty dog food sacks to put it all in.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 08:58 PM
My honest opinion would be don't waste your money. Maybe if you has a yorkie it would be different but with a bigger dog .......

Many years ago my parents had one - at the time we had a great dane and a labrador and the bin just couldn't cope with the amount of poo it had to deal with!

When we moved here Dave was quite keen to try one although I was very dubious. We spent ages digging a huge hole and put loads of stones in the hole for drainage.

We'd not long installed it before I gave up on it completely. We were using the correct amount of chemicals for it. If I recall correctly it did suggest stirring it to help it disolve - needless to say I could never bring myself to do that.

It ended up like a solid poo cake . Being mean and being as it was all Dave's idea I made him dig it up and dispose of it. Now we just bag it and bin it - much less hassle.