Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Advice needed : wind had blown garden fence down and dogs can get next door

The wind has been so strong here for the last few days that 2 panels of my garden fence have been blown down The wind was so strong the other day that it has even blown the fence post down too

Well, Georgie thinks its great that he can get next door now. I proped the fence panel back up until I can get it fixed, by the wind has blown it straight back down Next door hate dogs. I wouldn't want someone elses dog in my garden either but...

So, anyway, this morning next door knock on my door at 8am with a plant with roots attached in her hand. Georgie has ripped her Bay leaf plant out of her garden

It's going to be another week or two before I have got the money to get the fence fixed...it all needs replacing now as the wind has caused the panels to rip, damaging the panels either side of the 2 that have blown down.

How on earth am I going to let the dogs out in the garden to do their stuff, without them thinking they have free run of both gardens? I call Georgie back everytime he goes near the fence but he's not listening I put his extendable dog lead on him this a.m to go in the garden, but he is having none of it. Just tried to chew the lead He now keeps sitting at the door crying to go out...only coz he wants to go next door.

My CKCS is fine, she will come back when I call her, but Georgie is extremely stubborn and is proving very difficult.

Any ideas please??????
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh bless. It's a pain. Mine came down last year but it was the back fence which opens up onto fields rather than neighbours. First of all check your home insurance, as some cover fencing. Secondly I'm assuming there is just one post down. Was this post put into concrete or a met post?
If it is a met post then just get another post or if the one that's blown down is tall enough use that. Then just tack the best you can until it can be properly fixed.
Otherwise and I know it's a pain but you will just have stop using the garden and take them out last thing round the block. You can get metal fencing on a roll but it is expensive.
Have a look in your shed or garage. There's normally some wood or metal bits and bobs that you temporarily fix the fence with. It might not look attractive but then your just wanting to keep the dogs in.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
I think Georgie is having a forbidden fruit moment!

The problem is that now he knows he can get next door succesfully he will keep doing it until the fence is repaired properly.

When we first moved house Max got though a tiny gap in next doors fence (fortunately it was about 8:30 on a Sunday morning and they weren't up). We had to go to Homebase that day to sort it out as he made a beeline for that area every time we opened the door.

I think your extendable lead is a good idea although obviously Georgie doesn't! If you put Georgie on his lead and went to the area of the fence that is damaged and then let him off his lead while standing in front of the blown down panels, would you be able to shoo him away do you think or would it be too big an area?

I would be very wary if you say that your neighbours hate dogs. If they have already complained to you about the damage he has done to their plants I think they will be very annoyed if they discover he has been in again. What happens if he does a poo in their garden?

I would not like Max in a garden that is not dog friendly - they may use slug pellets or chemicals in their garden that could make him very ill. It would also worry me about how secure their garden is - could Georgie get onto the road from their garden?

To be honest I don't think you have much choice here. If you really cannot get the fence repaired for a couple for a couple of weeks you need to be out with him every time he is outside. I would also try again with his extendable lead.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:05 PM
The only insurance I have is home contents So wont cover the garden fence unfortunatly.

Erm, it is just 1 post down, and it's wooden. Dont think it is concreted in, but then I wouldn't have a clue anyway! The wind was so strong that it has ripped 2 panels so they are in bits and pieces. Where the force of the wind has pulled the panels down, it has damaged the panels either side too, so looks like I need to replace 4 panels and 4 posts.

I couldn't try to temp fix it as the panels are completely trashed. Georgie for 1 would have them down in seconds.

Georgie is still a puppy so goes to toilet every couple of hours. He will wee out on a walk, but will not poo That he saves for home in the garden

I can't stand 2wks of next doors plants being ripped up amd me shouting at Georgie to get back over this side of the fence!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I think your only answer is to put Georgie on a lead and walk him out there and hang on tight!! It's alright you saying "he won't have any of it" but at the end of the day, he has to do what you want/say doesn't he,even if he is a puppy?? It might seem strange to him at first but he'll get used to it, and it won't be for long hopefully. I wouldn't want my dogs getting into next door, you never know, their fencing might not even be secure all round, so you might end up losing him!!! Maybe they've got a side passage you won't have seen and he could get out somewhere there perhaps? It will be much less stressful just to put him on a lead and take him out, I know it's a pain, but those neighbours sound like they'll come round again if he's caught in there another time!!

We've got the same problem, but luckily for me, hubby noticed it when he came in last night so went straight back out and sorted it, and I didn't even know it was down coz it was around a corner!!! Doesn't bear thinking about that I had let them out there only an hour earlier!! I hope you get it sorted soon.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
When I say my neighbours hate dogs....I mean she hates Georgie's breed of dog. She wouldn't mind if he was a little lap dog, but does not like him coz of his breed

Georgie wouldn't listen if I tried to shoo him away, he would think it's a game and probably run in next doors garden faster!

If he does poo in their garden, heaven help me if he does, then the sh!t will hit the fan. I wouldn't leave him unattended in the garden anyway, but he managed to dig up her lant without me seeing - he mus of done that VERY quickly indeed

Georgie is safe in her garden, but I am concerned that she may put something down in her garden in case he gets in...something that would make him ill. She seems the type that would do that, just to 'teach him a lesson'

Erm, looks like Georgie will have to go out on the lead for now in the garden, it's a nightmare as I get the lead out and he thinks he's going for a walk...but he gets to go in the garden He's not impressed!
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's alright you saying "he won't have any of it" but at the end of the day, he has to do what you want/say doesn't he,even if he is a puppy??

Oh I know Georgie is very well behaved, but the natural canine behaviour is kicking in now he knows the fence is down. He only wants to go next door to run around and be nosey!

He is very, very good at doing as he's told, but this is proving a challenge. When I tell him "Georgie stay" as he's about to leg it through the fence, he looks as me as if to say " No, catch me first"
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:21 PM
wilko used to sell some wire mesh fencing, i got it when i returfed my garden, it was about 2ft high and a roll was about£4 so not going to break the bank!!all i did was buy some fence stakes from b&q and nail the fencing to that did the job with my staffy and staffy x at least that way you have tried to stop georgie
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
wilko used to sell some wire mesh fencing, i got it when i returfed my garden, it was about 2ft high and a roll was about£4 so not going to break the bank!!all i did was buy some fence stakes from b&q and nail the fencing to that did the job with my staffy and staffy x at least that way you have tried to stop georgie
That's a good idea, thankyou. I will have a look about. I do think that he will easily be able to jump over 3ft high though.

The thing I'm worried about now though is, now he knows the fence is down there, when it is repaired, Ive got a feeling he will try and get back through it by digging under it He's got determination I give him that
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
could you perhaps find a friendly bunch of workmen on a building site or similar, explain your dilemma and, and they might donate some pig/safety fencing (that brightly coloured strong plastic stuff).
It is very strong, and would take away the temptation, as it gives a visual barrier....you could nail it to either end of the remaining fence.

Of course you will still need to be vigilant, but it may give you some respite until you can repair the fence properly.

hth
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >