Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:24 PM

Animal Welfare Act

I saw this today, the subject might already have been posted on here, but I couldn't see it.

Apparantly it is to become law in March.

Good news for animals - the law relating to pets is changing in 2007! The Animal Welfare Act - which received Royal Assent this week - will be the most significant piece of animal welfare legislation for nearly 100 years.

The RSPCA welcomes the change in law, which will provide much greater protection for animals. Under current law, people responsible for pets can only be prosecuted for cruelty once suffering has occured, and when it is often too late to save the animal from death or lasting injury.

The Animal Welfare Act includes a new welfare offence, which will for the first time protect thousands of animals from enduring serious ongoing neglect each year, by legally obliging owners to care for their pets properly.

Although the primary elements of the Act have been finalised, there are a number of issues - which are the subject of secondary legislation and codes of practice - which will continue to be considered into 2007, and beyond. This includes greyhound racing, animals in circuses, the sale of animals at pet shops and at pet fairs.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:26 PM
About time

Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 10:35 PM
I thought it was already in place since it received royal assent on Nov 8th. Hence its now called The Animal Welfare Act 2006

Some useful changes have come about, but still a few more need to be added I feel.

The Animal Welfare Act will be the most significant animal welfare legislation for nearly a century. It will:

* reduce animal suffering by enabling preventive action to be taken before suffering occurs
* place on people who are responsible for domestic and companion animals a duty requiring them to do all that is reasonable to ensure the welfare of their animals
* extend the existing power to make secondary legislation to promote the welfare of farmed animals to non-farmed animals, bringing legislation for non-farmed animals in line with that for farmed animals (see proposals for secondary legislation)
* deter persistent offenders by strengthening penalties and eliminating many loopholes in the current system. For example, those causing unnecessary suffering to an animal will face up to 51 weeks in prison, a fine of up to £20,000, or both
* simplify the legislation for enforcers and animal keepers by consolidating over 20 pieces of legislation into one
* extend to companion animals welfare codes agreed by Parliament, a mechanism currently used to provide guidance on welfare standards for farmed animals
* strengthen and amend current offences related to animal fighting
* increase the effectiveness of law enforcement for animal welfare offences
* increase from 12 to 16 the minimum age at which a child may buy an animal, and prohibit the giving of pets as prizes to unaccompanied children under the age of 16
* ban mutilations of animals, with certain specified exemptions

Ref: Defra, Animal Welfare Act
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
I did start a thread on this when the Act was finalised in November.

I think it very sad the opportunity to improve conditions in the dog racing industry and address the problems of puppy farming, have been missed.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=48674
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 11:38 PM
The Act is called the 2006, but at the bottom it says it will become law in April 2007

(Sorry I missed your original thread, Pod).

Animal Welfare Act receives Royal Assent

By updating and bringing together more than 20 pieces of animal welfare legislation relating to farmed and non farmed animals, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 will:

introduce a ‘duty of care' on people to ensure the needs of any animal for which they are responsible;
create a new offence of failing to provide for the needs of an animal in your care;
allow action to protect animals to be taken much earlier - rather than have to wait for an animal to show the signs of suffering, enforcers will be able to intervene before suffering begins;
place more emphasis on owners and keepers who will need to understand their responsibilities and take all reasonable steps to provide for the needs of their animals.
“The most fundamental piece of animal welfare legislation for nearly a century has now passed into law,” said Mr Bradshaw. “The Government believes that by extending the duty of care to non farmed animals, it will reduce animal suffering in this country.

“This is the culmination of several years work during which the government has worked closely with stakeholders. The result is legislation of which we can all be rightly proud.”

Chief Veterinary Officer Debby Reynolds has also expressed her satisfaction that the act has become law. “I am delighted that the Animal Welfare Bill has now received Royal Assent. The bringing up to date of animal welfare legislation will help to improve the way people look after their animals.

“The extra powers will mean that action can now be taken before an animal starts to suffer, and will put companion animals on the same legislative footing as farmed animals. The new act forms an important part of our overall strategy on animal health and welfare.”

The act will come into effect on 6 April 2007.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears View Post
The Act is called the 2006, but at the bottom it says it will become law in April 2007

(Sorry I missed your original thread, Pod).

Animal Welfare Act receives Royal Assent

By updating and bringing together more than 20 pieces of animal welfare legislation relating to farmed and non farmed animals, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 will:

introduce a ‘duty of care' on people to ensure the needs of any animal for which they are responsible;
create a new offence of failing to provide for the needs of an animal in your care;
allow action to protect animals to be taken much earlier - rather than have to wait for an animal to show the signs of suffering, enforcers will be able to intervene before suffering begins;
place more emphasis on owners and keepers who will need to understand their responsibilities and take all reasonable steps to provide for the needs of their animals.
“The most fundamental piece of animal welfare legislation for nearly a century has now passed into law,” said Mr Bradshaw. “The Government believes that by extending the duty of care to non farmed animals, it will reduce animal suffering in this country.

“This is the culmination of several years work during which the government has worked closely with stakeholders. The result is legislation of which we can all be rightly proud.”

Chief Veterinary Officer Debby Reynolds has also expressed her satisfaction that the act has become law. “I am delighted that the Animal Welfare Bill has now received Royal Assent. The bringing up to date of animal welfare legislation will help to improve the way people look after their animals.

“The extra powers will mean that action can now be taken before an animal starts to suffer, and will put companion animals on the same legislative footing as farmed animals. The new act forms an important part of our overall strategy on animal health and welfare.”

The act will come into effect on 6 April 2007.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with how these things go through and presumed once it had assent, then that was it. it was law.. Plus I couldn't check your source as you didn't list where your info came from.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 01:41 AM
It has worried us a little in the rat fancy - basically it appears (and I really don't know much about this - just going on the little bits i've picked up ) that our shows may be in jeopardy - and also the sale of small animals as pets. Transport will also come into issue - which is a huge problem for those of us who think nothing of transporting rats all over the country for shows/new homes etc. Also it'll basically mean that where small animals are concerned only licensed breeders will be acceptable - basically meaning that it'll be an increase in rodent farms, as responsible hobby breeders simply couldn't afford the liscences. personally, from what I read, I don't back the new law at all...

xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
If you are showing it doesn't affect you. The KC got a statement for that! It really is if you are travelling for selling animals, more of an impact on the thousands of puppies that are transported by puppy farms to dealers. Besides I would have thought it very easy to hide the rats!
Becky
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Cumbrian Lass,

No need to say sorry, I wasn't being funny, I hope you didn't think I was, because it wasn't meant to be.

I too used to think that once it had Royal Assent then that was it, done and dusted.

I was just pleased that at last the powers that be can now DO something before the poor dog is at death's door.

I just know that if I saw someone ill-treating a dog, I would try and get it away from them and worry about the consequences later.

If I ended up with a police record because I'd helped an animal, then so be it, I just could not walk away and leave it.

Kind regards

Jill (Radar)

I found the info here :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6222689.stm

I wasn't sure that I was allowed to post the link though, so I didn't.

Then I just "googled" the "Animal Welfare Act" (the UK one, not the American one) and found out from there.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll try and find the article that was in the NFRS magazine - and will ask Ann Storey if she doesn't mind me reproducing it on here... as I don't really understand it all, all I know is that the club as a whole seem to think that generally, where small animals are concerned it's a bad idea however, obv. anything that wipes out, at least in part, puppy farms, has my backing.

xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >