Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Which chews?

After getting advice from Dogsey members about teeth retention for my mates dog, she was all set to go out and buy him a raw hide chew to encourage his baby fangs to come out. After reading another post, I get the impression that raw hide chews are not good and so would someone please advise me what she should buy in replacement to a raw hide chew that is safe and does the same job....neither of us have ever bought natural dog chews and so are confused as to which ones we should get....if possible a link to a picture or details would be so helpful. Thanks
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Mine always have rawhide, I've never had any problems with them, but wouldn't leave them unsupervised as they can choke, but then they can choke on anything like that.

I always get a selection of cigars, thin twists or flat strips. I do give the adults the shoes but not pups because of the laces. Their favrourites are the thin twists, they adore them and would eat them non stop given the chance

I have heard that rawhide can upset some dogs tummies but I haven't had that happen at all.

Hope this helps.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 06:29 PM
What are Greenies and are they safe and any good for young dogs teething...
http://www.petstuffonline.co.uk/inde...=0&submit=back
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I've heard/read a lot of bad things about Greenies!

Nyla bones are good IMO - you can get a range of them for different ages of dogs.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
young dogs should not be fed greenies until 6 months old. if younger they should be fed Greenies lil bits. i have heard a that greenies are not digestable, that is the saga that was going about greenies. but on the other hand i do not believe that these were original greenies, as there are loads of other green teeth cleaning chews.

as every other chew, Greenies need to be chewed properly (bitten on small bits) otherwise they are dangerous as any other chew, so if dog likes to gulp, Greenies lil bits should be offered too.

my dogs get 1 greenie each every day. their teeth are clean and their breath doesnt stink so much. Jack threw up at least twice a week before i fed him greenies-thats why i started feeding him greenies as they reduce acid in the stomach.

Limao came 14 day ago with yellowish teeth. now they are almost white. they really reduce tartar build.

Jack has a Greeine per day for over 6 months now, and there are absolutely no bad side effects.

as for the rawhide chews, Jack does get an upset tummy and since i know that they are not digestable i dont feed them anymore. we have had dogs at the clinic for 2 days, they were given NOTHING BUT dry food and water and they would stil throw up undigested pieces of rawhide and those pig ear things. when i first saw this i tought that maybe dogs owners gave it to him altough they were said not to, but now this has happened for so many times that...
i wouldnt reccomend rawhide, altough if feed small ammounts to a healthy dog it goes through the system and usualy dont causes complications even undigested.

i think that Greenies are far beter choice over rawhide chews.
they do contain wheat though, so are not good choice for dogs that are allergic to wheat.

thats just my opinion

i am not advertising Greenies, i am just well educated over them
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Poppy has the chicken flavour nylabone. Also in Pets @ Home I get her a white vanilla bone and a white vanilla ring which she loves. The rope rag toys are good too, Poppy's got a mint flavoured one and a chocolate flavoured one. She does have the occasional rawhide ring, but never unsupervised.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 09:01 PM
I've never had a problem with rawhide either, although as people have said supervision is always necessary incase the dog chokes. Dogs can and will choke on pretty much anything (Woody once almost choked on a sock in an attempt to swallow it! ), it's just up to the individual to decide whether the risk is big or small.

Other than that Greenies sound like a good option (never tried them myself). Nylabones can work, but I've yet to own a dog that actually chews em!

Personally I think the best thing to give a dog to keep it's teeth clean are raw bones. A raw chicken wing a couple of times a week would be ideal for a Yorkie size dog, but again that's personal preference.

If rawhide works for you and your dog then use it. What works for some doesn't always work for others, but it doesn't make it wrong.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What works for some doesn't always work for others, but it doesn't make it wrong.
couldnt agree more
i think the same thing is with the regular dog food
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Hollie has the cigar shaped rawhide chews. These are fine for her, as are the flat and twist ones.

She used to have the ones with knots, until she started to choke once on a knot end that had come off - we managed to get it before things got very bad.
She has never had one since, and never will again.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
Hollie has the cigar shaped rawhide chews. These are fine for her, as are the flat and twist ones.

She used to have the ones with knots, until she started to choke once on a knot end that had come off - we managed to get it before things got very bad.
She has never had one since, and never will again.
Must admit of the rawhide chews I do avoid the knotted ones as I have had a couple of incidences of dogs choking. The knotted ones seem to go soft all at once and then the dog tries to swallow it whole. Never had a problem with any of the other rawhide chews though.

And I own a Lab so that really is something!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >