Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 07:57 PM

What a shame...........

Just read this on the BBC newspage, all these dogs needing homes. This is just a tip of the iceberg, Staff rescues all over the country are full to bursting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/6219311.stm

Such a shame.......
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I think people over breed SBT's these days. They are a very popular breed and there are so many around it's easy to mate them.

It is a shame. My SBT x is the best dog I've ever owned, his nature is so genuine.

I am looking into getting another bull breed, and would like a rescue, but the thing is, I have young children, and that's not always desirable with a rescue dog.

Rescue centres are stringent about who they rehome the dogs to, and rightly so, but someone like me who is willing to rehome a dog does not fit the critria, yet I can offer a dog 101%......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 08:19 PM
That is sad There always seem to be a high percentage of Staffie and Staff type dogs in the local rescue where I live.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 08:19 PM
We have four lovely Boxers in our rescue right now, none of which, for one reason or another can go with children. It is such a shame as we have some very nice people waiting for dogs who will have to passed over for these dogs. One of the dogs is from the stray kennels, we have had him in a foster home now for three weeks with no problems but because we do not know his previous history he must go with teenagers only. Two have never been around kids and the last is too boisterous to be with small kids so needs older kids only. It is not that we have a problem with homing with families with kids it is just that the dogs requirements state that it would be safer not to.

Good luck with your search for another family pet.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 08:28 PM
It tends to be mostly the bull breeds that won't be rehomed with children...which is fair enough.

My passion is bull breeds though, and I will keep looking for that right dog who the rescues will allow to be rehomes with us.

I also want another British Bulldog.....My house would be full of dogs if I was given the chance!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Are you looking to adopt a dog at the moment Teenytiny?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Odd thing is,i went to a dog show yesterday at Woodgreen animal shelter in Godmanchester.It was the Luton canine show and open class so there were many many breeds there,but only one Staffie.

I honesty did wonder why there wasnt more cause they are a popular breed.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Are you looking to adopt a dog at the moment Teenytiny?
In the near future I am yes, maybe in a few months when Georgie is that bit older.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Sadly the staffie is having a really rough time. It is a breed that attracts a lot of mindless idiots, that just get them for there tough man imagine. They are then bred from to make a bit of quick money, the people than cant find Home for the pups and they are dumped off at rescues or just kicked on to street and end up in pounds(the lucky ones ) for someone else to sort out their mess. it makes me so so mad
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:53 PM
The other problem you have is yes they are chosen for the 'hard man' image by mindless twonks and when they realise that they are a sensitive, loving and caring breed, the 'image' disappears and the dog isn't 'tough' enough for them so they dump them

Teenytiny I know how you feel. It's frustrating but you'll fnd the right rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >