Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 01:34 PM

pacing a lot

My 9 and a half year old BC has always been a bit of a pacer, especially if his tummy is wet after exercise, as he doesn't like lying down then!!!!
He has started pacing more lately, especially in the evenings. Nothing has changed, other than this...should we be concerned or is it just his age (and breed!) Our old BC used to do this...
Ta.
Ax
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Awwww so sorry to hear your gorgeous oldie is causing you to worry Ailsa. Cassie does a lot of pacing but when she does it, I knowsomething's wrong, i.e. she wants to go out, she wants some nice cold fresh water ( I know, I pander to her every need!)or she's got a bit of stomach ache and wants to go outside and eat some grass, usually stuff like that with her. If she settles down again after I've obliged with whatever, then I'm happy, but if not, I do keep a strict eye on her like you seem to be doing.

Is he frightened of fireworks and things like that? Cassie was doing it the other night and Dave said we had some fireworks going off but I never even heard them, but when they're scaredy cats like Cassie, she would definitely have heard them. Could be something like that? Maybe he's got a bit of arthritic pain he can't cope with and he knows that if he settles down it's gonna be a painful process getting back up again and he'll be in pain??? This could be it? I don't know if he's on anything for arthritis, but maybe you could investigate that route?

I would just keep an extra beady eye on him at night and see what you think it might be, have a listen outside if it could be a loud noise etc. or give his back end and legs a good old rub like I do with Cassie and you might find he'll settle down, in which case I think it points to arthritic pain somewhere! Awwww, I'll come and massage him if ya like, I soooo love the oldies, especially collies and the likes, so let me know!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks H!!!!
I don't think it's fireworks, they DO make him pace, but not as much since we have had the DAP plugged in and to be honest, the Biffters TELLS us in no uncertain terms if there are noises outside...so I don't think it's that.
He doesn't seem stiff or anything, but thinking about it, he perhaps seems a bit reluctant at times to lie down, like he did when his prostate was giving him trouble this time last year. Surely though, it can't be that again as we had his bits off and that solved that...or at least it seemed to???? Oh dear, wondering if it's his prostate now...actually, he's not dribbling, but has had a couple of accidents in the house lately. Maybe I'll go google prostate again....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 01:58 PM
hmmmmmm might not be a bad idea that! xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Have googled...but nothing is any more clear...
I'm wondering if he could have cushings disease...do you know anything about that?
As I type he's up and pacing again! Sigh. He seems to want to lie down but can't find the right spot oyu know???
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I only know about cushings in horses!!!!! It's getting quite common nowadays in horses, old horses, but don't know about it in dogs!!!!

I wouldn't like it if Cassie was pacing like that constantly (ish!) It would certainly worry me, coz like I said, it's a pinpointer to me that something's up! Have you had a good old feel down under and notice if he yelps at any particular spot?? It definitely sounds like he doesn't want to lie down doesn't it so there's something not quite right there???? Don't think it's the arthritis thing, coz he would lie down with persuasion if you wanted him to, say with a biscuit, but this sounds more like he reeeeeeeally doesn't want to lie down at all coz he's in pain with something???? That's my feelings on it anyway? Vet trip perhaps????? See how he goes?????? What d'ya think?????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Hi H!
Thing is it's not constant and he will lie down in the end, he's doing it mainly in the evenings...
If it doesn't improve after Christmas I think we'll pay the vets a visit. Thanks mate!
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I had something similar with Jenna a couple of years ago. During the day she seemed ok, lost interest in running around and a bit picky with her food, but a night she would have me up three or four times and each time she just went out and looked at the sky and had a wander round. The vet did every blood test imaginable and then decided to x-ray and do an ultra sound. The outcome was an enlarged spleen which she had removed. She has been fine ever since. Not saying this is the problem but might be worth having some x-rays done just to see if anything is going on.

Sue
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Bless the poor pet. Hope it's no biggie with him.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Ailsa, Just another thought that sprung to mind...not a bitch in season around? I know knowing you that he'll be castrated but even so they can still pick up on the scent ect. if no medical reason worth condsidering????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >