Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 05:50 AM

Ruperts story

It was a case of love at first sight with Rupert. I met him at the shelter, he was everything I didn't want in a dog but he came home with me anyway. He was 12 months old.
If I'd known exactly what I was taking on I might not have taken him on though. I was in way, way over my head. Rupe couldn't function. He was afraid of everything. The kettle boiling, the tv being switched on, the shadows the light made in the room, everything. He spent most of his first few months hiding under my bed. I lived in a flat at the time so he had to be walked. Those were an absolute nightmare. A leaf blowing down the street was a reason to panic.
Even when he was feeling brave enough to venture out from under the bed he wasn't happy. Unless me and my flatmate moved extremely slowly he'd panic and fly back there or drop to the floor and lie there shaking. He didn't know how to play, wouldn't take food from our hands or anything. He'd want to be petted but you had to be so slow and careful about it so you didn't panic him. I seriously considered having him put to sleep just so he wouldn't have to be afraid any more. It broke my heart to see him the way he was, too afraid to actually live. Then someone told me about clicker training. Rupe wouldn't take treats off me but if I dropped one on the floor and moved away from it he'd eat it. So, I began teaching him to touch my hand with his nose. Simplest thing I could think of. He caught on fairly quickly and I saw him get excited about something for the first time. So then I taught him to give paw since he'd often raise a paw when uncertain. I saw a huge change in him within days of starting clicker training. He began to spend more time with me instead of hiding under the bed and he'd take food from me.
We didn't have a sudden and miraculous turn about but we did begin to see a whole new side to Rupert. He began to sleep on the bed with me, to get excited when I picked his leash up. After a while I taught him to play with the toys I'd bought him and that raised hands weren't something to be afraid of.

I've had Rupert 2 and a half years now and he's a completely different dog. He's still nervous and lacks confidence out of the house but he has a life now. He is a real clown and will do anything to make you laugh. He is far from perfect and I'm sure many would rehome him for the issues he still has. I'm getting a behaviourist in after Xmas to see if they can help with his remaining issues. Especially the fact he can't pay attention out of the house and his Jekyll and Hyde tendencies with other dogs. Whatever issues he has though I love him and his "grandparents" spoil him rotten.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Awww what a fab story. It brought a tear to my eye reading about Rupert. He sounds a wonderful dog and hope you have many more happy years together
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh, I didn't see this thread before I replied to your other one. That is such a moving story, I'm so pleased it has all worked out for you both.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Great story. Hopefully go from strength to strength now... Keep up the good work
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Lovely story I am typing through my tears. It is so nice to hear of the success you have had with Rubert it makes all your hard work worthwhile. Give him a gentle pat and a cuddle from me and llicks from my gang and hope you have sucess with the behavourist and I wish Rupert a long and happy life.
barneys mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh I am so please for both of you----Aileen
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
So nice to see that there are people out there prepared to take on rescue dogs with issues.

These dogs can be such hard work when you have no idea of the curcumstances that caused the problem in the first place.

You should feel very proud of the changes you have enabled your dog to make. He sounds like a real character
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I've gone from crying with sadness over him almost every day to crying with laughter at some of the things he does. The tears were worth it in the end.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 12:44 AM
thats a beautiful story i am so glad you got him to enjoy so much it must have been really hard but so rewarding i bet you have a very special bond